View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 07:58 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

caster==camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
The frame was from a 59 Belair and 6cyl Absolutely perfect appearing frame.
But, I just looked in the service manual and there is no dimension for between the mounts. I did check the dimension from outside to outside the rails before I started building it---was right at the target my book tells me it is supposed to be---in fact all cross checking came within a 1/4 inch(near as I could measure without fancy tools). But I have noticed a LOT of these X-frames in yards that have no shims in them. (have 2 in my yard that only have 1/16" at each location.) This car was never designed for a Mark motor, so I knew that I would have issues with that right out of the gate. Tubular arms gave me almost 3/4" clearance on that arm----only issue was with the left side--On the right--the exhaust port is behind the front upper bushing.
Thanks.
I am not saying there is really anything"wrong"with your frame,but it has been a common problem on those GM cars for years. That is why even today there are aftermarket suppliers who make offset upper shafts and bushings,to increase camber on these cars. When I started doing front end work 36 years ago,vehicles like your El camino were in our shop as family daily drivers,and it was very common to have a camber problem,since we were a frame shop we"jacked" the crossmember,rather than use the offset shafts and bushings. I will still stand by my recomendation that your camber should be between 0 and.25 positive.