Thread: Caster--Camber
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here are a couple of pics.

on the first one you can see where I milled .125" from the areas that mount to the frame--Although I probably did not have to mill the rear mounting points at all. .125 was as far as I was willing to go for fear of compromising the shafts' integrity.

The second and third pics show the difference in the shim paks. This seems too big a difference for me. Removing the rear shims would give me much more + camber but will toss the caster into shopping cart negatives.
I am now at +1/2 on caster--1/8'" shim removal from the rear of the arm changes caster to the neg 1*

I am not wanting to think this, but--I am beginning to imagine the possibility of the tubular arms being boxed incorrectly---Or someone at air ride had a bad day.

The dropped spindles came from Classic Performance Products, And the possibilty exists that the spindles are drilled in the wrong spot. I have no way of checking this.

I think I will e-mail Tony @ air ride and have him look at this thread and get his opinion as well.

It just appears to me that, The rear tube is approx 1/4" too long and the front is 1/4" too short.

I know that with the stock upper arms just bolted to the frame (with the dropped spindles) I had visible + camber and visible + caster.

I'm also gonna post a pic of that----hard to see though--was taken during the mock-up stages of makin' everything fit together--disc brakes, hyd. clutch, etc.

Look close in the upper left corner and you can see the 59 before I started tearing it apart.

First pic was too big---had to resize--it is now pic #5

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2003.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	13255   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2004.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	13256   Click image for larger version