Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Caswell Reprochrome
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had a plating set up where I bought the supplies through Caswell.

One think I like abut caswell is the information booklet you get when you order supplies. The information booklet is a little poorly written. If you muddle through it covers a lot of good information about chrome.

The information in the book is very good even if you don't plan on chroming anything. It gives you a lot of insight into the process, the work involved and what chroming companies are dealing with when you get work done.

I worked with platting for a while but it became quite apparent that chrome plating is a hobby in of itself. After doing so I became much more willing to pay more money to have stuff properly chromed. A big advantage of the professionals is having the equipment to properly sand and buff the fill copper to get the parts perfectly smooth.

Like anything else good chroming is more about the prep work then anything; just like a paint job. When you get your metal shiny and perfectly smooth only then is it ready for the chrome process.

After a while I cleaned up my buckets and put my stuff away. I doubt I will do it again simply because of the 1. the cost to keep every thing up and ready, 2. how involved everything is. On the other hand the education was worth the trip.

Having said that I have one bath which I do like to use once in a while and that is zinc. Zinc i a very easy process and is much more forgiving. Many parts like door internals, brackets, etc I blast, clean, zinc and install. Very useful for hardware.

Here are some English wheel parts smoothed and cleaned on the lath then hard chromed:

Instead of adding a chromed tipped exhaust pipe I jut chromed the tip itself:

[img]http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/homestretch/ex3.jpg[img]