Catalatic After Muffler? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Catalatic After Muffler?

hay guys i had a question on my buddys 1990 chevy suberbon 2500 454, i want to know if the cat on that is after the muffler, the idiot keeps telling me that his muffler is mounted before the cat, and i had another question on the same car can he use a 40 series 2 chamber flowmaster muffler for his suberbon because he is telling me he cant because the muffler shop says his is a big block and he needs a big block muffler he cant use a 40 series. can you guys pleasae help me out with this idiot. thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 12:11 AM

I don't believe the catalytic convertor on ANY vehicle is after the muffler. It is simple to findout, you just look at an exhaust system catalog which will show in place all the system components of virtually every car/truck. Some cars/trucks may have resonators after the muffler/s which are small and could be mistaken for cats by the uninitiated.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:43 AM
4cyl Pentastar Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
I don't believe the catalytic convertor on ANY vehicle is after the muffler. It is simple to findout, you just look at an exhaust system catalog which will show in place all the system components of virtually every car/truck. Some cars/trucks may have resonators after the muffler/s which are small and could be mistaken for cats by the uninitiated.
Bolded for truth!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:41 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Cats come first and as close to the engine as possible because they must be HOT to work.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Look, you already know he's an idiot. That's the important thing. First lesson: you can't argue with an idiot who "knows" he's right -- after all, it's his truck, he should know. The series number of the muffler has nothing to do with engine size, you can get the flowmaster 40 in 3" if you want. You obviously know more about cars in general than he does -- just agree with him and let it go!

You can't correct someone who does not want to be corrected! Believe me, I'm an AMC/Rambler guy, I have problems all the time! AMC made their own 390, it's not a Ford. Yes, I know it has a Motorcraft 4V carb, Autolite starter, alternator, and ignition system. AMC never made their own carburetors or electric stuff, but they DID make their own engines (with a couple exceptions). That's just ONE of them! I just had a guy at an auto parts store tell me my Rambler used a six bought from IHC -- he had an IHC with the same engine years ago. I tried to tell him that IHC bought the engine from AMC, not the other way around. He just nodded his head, then went on to tell me something else about his "IHC six". I let it go. You can't educate those who don't want to hear, and he had no idea I'm an AMC/Rambler expert and have written a couple books and currently publish a small magazine covering them. But what does that prove? I could be printing a bunch of lies instead of doing good research...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
Look, you already know he's an idiot. That's the important thing. First lesson: you can't argue with an idiot who "knows" he's right -- after all, it's his truck, he should know.
You can't correct someone who does not want to be corrected! Believe me, I'm an AMC/Rambler guy, I have problems all the time! AMC made their own 390, it's not a Ford. Yes, I know it has a Motorcraft 4V carb, Autolite starter, alternator, and ignition system. AMC never made their own carburetors or electric stuff, but they DID make their own engines (with a couple exceptions). That's just ONE of them! I just had a guy at an auto parts store tell me my Rambler used a six bought from IHC -- he had an IHC with the same engine years ago. I tried to tell him that IHC bought the engine from AMC, not the other way around. He just nodded his head, then went on to tell me something else about his "IHC six". I let it go. You can't educate those who don't want to hear, and he had no idea I'm an AMC/Rambler expert and have written a couple books and currently publish a small magazine covering them. But what does that prove? I could be printing a bunch of lies instead of doing good research...
Ain't that the truth?...............What kills me, is on here some days, so yokel comes aboard, tells us he knows nothing about cars, then argues with you over the answer you give him.

Farna....How many people have told you that the AMC was really a Ford six? I used to get that one all the time when I worked at the AMC plant.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 PM

I think I've heard it described as a Chevy or Ford six many times, that last guy was the first one to accuse it of being made by IHC though! Funny thing is, his is the only accusation that at least had some merit -- that exact engine was used in IHCs for 3-4 years!

Most look at the dizzy/carb/starter/alternator and decide that's who made the whole thing. Depending on the year and engine size, AMC used both Delco and Autolite parts during the same year. the main reason is that if one had a problem delivering, the contract with the other would be easy to expand. Smart thinking!! AMC got stuck in the late 50s and early 60s with some supply problems when one supplier or another couldn't keep up. Having more than one fixes that.

OOpps... sorry about hijacking the thread!!
Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna

Most look at the dizzy/carb/starter/alternator
is dizzy supposed to be the ignition or somehting? ive seen people writing that on here but dont know what it means
Old 01-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Did IHC build anything???

My 78 Scout---GM steering--Ford Electronics---Every wire in that thing was black. One of our family's older pick-up----needed a serial number for the parts ordering. They would run out of one item and just grab another to make it work.

A friend of mine bought a NEW scout in 76------woodgrain on one side only.
Chrome bumper was a $10. add---he chose painted---The chrome bumper was painted white

A guy I knew that did body work said of the IHC pick-ups & Travelalls:
" Only vehicle ever built where the passenger doors fit better on the driver side."

Bryan
Old 01-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsinthedirt
is dizzy supposed to be the ignition or somehting? ive seen people writing that on here but dont know what it means
Dizzy=distributor.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC

My 78 Scout---GM steering--Ford Electronics---Every wire in that thing was black. One of our family's older pick-up----needed a serial number for the parts ordering. They would run out of one item and just grab another to make it work.

Chrome bumper was a $10. add---he chose painted---The chrome bumper was painted white

" Only vehicle ever built where the passenger doors fit better on the driver side."

Bryan
Thanks for the laugh, that was a good one! I needed that.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC

Bryan

Yeah....but they were great trucks.......
Old 01-25-2007, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Scouts are what they used to use around here to pull out stuck Jeeps.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 AM

That's only because a Scout is heavier than a Jeep and can get a little better traction, especially on the front wheels if it had that 304 IHC V-8!! Takes more to sink a Jeep than a Scout. Get that Scout stuck in a mud hole that a Jeep's stuck in and you'll need a winch to get it out!!

Okay, enough brand bashing!!

IHC's primary business was heavy duty trucks and farm equipment. Their venture into the light truck arena required using a lot of parts from other sources -- what they built was usually to big and heavy, and they didn't sell enough to scale some of it down. Scaling something that works on a big truck down doesn't always work either. Every US maker had fit/finish/quality problems in the mid to late 70s. I've heard of all makes having things like one drum and one disc brake on front from every maker. Goes back to AMCs philosophy -- if we can buy it cheaper than we can make it...

Remember, it's not just manufacturing cost, parts support and research and development are part of the overall cost of a part as well. You can't stand still and let everyone else get to far ahead of you in a very competitive business! But if you're buying the components, it's up to the manufacturer to do all the R&D and parts support. The auto maker in that case is a customer who has the option of going somewhere else!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.