catalytic converters? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

catalytic converters?

If your building a car up for race conditions only and the thing came out with catalytic converters, how do you get an exhaust system on it with out the converters if you dont know how to weld up a system your self, is there some sort of federal doctors note you can give the exhaust shop that will allow them to put a system on your car without the catalytic converters? or do you just need to know a guy who knows a guy??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

The easiest thing to do is remove the stock exhaust yourself and have it towed to the shop. They can install an exhaust for you but they can't remove any emissions equipment to do it. Most states will fine the snot out of them and revoke their emissions testing certification, that hurts revenue big time.

By the way, why do you need mufflers on a racecar?

Larry
Old 01-10-2006, 05:20 PM

Cats

the local shop around here will put on an exaust with no cats if the car comes and goes on a trailer
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

thats what I thought but I called a shop and they said that even if it didnt have exhaust on it that if the car came out with cats they gotta put em on it. no matter what the pre exsisting exhaust was like at the time of bringing it in. must be a kansas thing. im gonna have to just learn how ta weld i guess. haha. no mufflers just a nice solid straight pipe system LOL
Old 01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I'm not going to say who does this, but if ya pay some small shops under the table...

Otherwise get rid of the cat, go to import-zone (it says auto-zone on the sign) and get a pipe that will fit in where the stock cat was. This way you still have mufflers to get to the muffler shop.

I personally find it more fun to drive straightpiped. Just idle if ya see a cop. If a cop is behind you, turn off the main road and hope they don't follow you (then you're prolly busted).

EDIT: you didn't hear this from me!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:08 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Is the car obviously a racer? Like to the point it's pretty obvious it can't be registered for the road? If so talk to the other racers/off roaders. Most dirt trackers or off roaders at least have a pipe on them, so someone has to be doing some pipe work. You might have to supply the shop with a notarized letter stating the vehicle is off-road only for their records, that would be easy enough to do, and should release them of liability. The ones who don't want to mess with it at all usually have plenty of "regular" work coming in. Heck, maybe one of the local racers has a pipe bending rig and will weld it all up for you.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoosurfer
thats what I thought but I called a shop and they said that even if it didnt have exhaust on it that if the car came out with cats they gotta put em on it. no matter what the pre exsisting exhaust was like at the time of bringing it in. must be a kansas thing. im gonna have to just learn how ta weld i guess. haha. no mufflers just a nice solid straight pipe system LOL
It is not a Kansas thing, it is Federal Emissions Laws. Like others have said there are shops that will make what you want, may take a little research to find them.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

I don't Know where in Kansas you are, but I Know muffler shop in Lincoln Ne. that will do any exhaust system you want. Hes a ole hotrodder him self. he eliminated one of the 2 catalytic converters on my wifes 99 Kia. and there was a kid in there that day I was there that had him put turn outs in front of the rear tires with no catalytic converters and no mufflers on a 00 Mustang GT. the kid was back that day I was there to get mufflers installed cause it was so loud he could not think when driving the Mustang.

His Work Was Top Notch Too.......

Mustangsaly
Old 01-18-2006, 03:31 PM
boatbob2

catylitic converter

no note needed,go to napa auto parts and tell them you want a cat converter test pipe. it is a short tube that you put in place of the converter,if the car runs great after you remove the converter,and put the test p[ipe in its place,then you know that the converter was plugged up. just leave the test pipe in and keep your mouth shut. if you need to have the car inspected,put the converter back on fopr the inspection..........dont tell any one i gave you this info.....
Old 01-18-2006, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

I tried the test pipe thing and none of the stores carries it, they tell me they have phased those out because people were replacing there converters with them, oh my how could they do such a thing. LOL
Old 01-18-2006, 04:47 PM
boatbob2

cat test pipe

if you cant find the catylitic converter test pipe. measure the outside diameter of your pipes,go to jc whitney .com and order a length of exhaust tubing with the same INSIDE diameter plus 2 clamps for each pipe. you will probably have to cut the converter off( use a sawzall) make sure you buy enough length of pipe. about 36 inches to 48 inches should be enough for duals.if you cant do the work ,bring the car to north florida and ill do it for you NO CHARGE.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This is not always the case, some have a larger inlet than the outlet, it can make it a little difficult. If it is the case on yours you may have to take the pipe to a shop and have one end adjusted. Don't tell them what it is for, some won't even ask they already know. It used to be a $10,000 fine, it was enough to scare alot of shops from making test pipes.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:40 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

1 take the cats off & beat the guts out re install

2 come to Fla there is NO INSPECTION here

3 beat the guts out of the cat

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-23-2006, 07:23 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

A steel rod will make short work of the insides of a cat. Then you just shake the stuffing out. Some people just take the back end off, "rod" it out, then drive down the road and blow it out, but I suggest taking the cats off and shaking out. you draw less attention that way, unless you live WAY out in the country...

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.