Hot Rod Forum banner

catfishdad

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  barnym17 
#1 ·
Here's my question. I have a 1935 Ford Sedan. Want to put a 1953 cadillac engine in it. 331 cu.in.. I have a bellhousing adapter plate that the 35 Ford transmission will bolt right to but I would really like to have a more heavy duty transmission. I also have a Hildebrandt bellhousing that will bolt to the adapter plate. So the input shaft to the transmission has to be 7" long. I have been told that a straight stick transmission from 1935 to 1953 all have the same spline size--1 3/8" and 10 splines. The problem is finding a transmission with a 7" input shaft.
any suggestions out there or do I need to go another way. Really want to use this engine--it's a beautiful engine with alot of chrome, 6 deuce Eidelbrook manifold and rocker arm covers, Mallory ignition. Starts good and runs great. And it was birthday gift to my wife 17 years ago and she would really like to get at least one ticket with it!
thank you

#2 ·
I'm not sure how traditional you want to keep this car but there is a company making adapters to hang late model OD autos like the 200-4R and 700R4 off the back of many of the 50's "hot rod" engines like the Olds Rockets and Nailhead Buicks if that's an option you'd want to consider. There's a good chance your Caddy is on their list. I don't have a company name right now but I'm sure somebody here knows who I mean. Kind of sounds like you want to keep it period correct though.

Sounds like a real cool project, best of luck! :thumbup:

#3 ·
1935 Ford sedan transmission

Thank you for your reply. I'm not a 'purist' and when you are putting a 53 Cadillac into a 35--I'll do whatever will work. Have you remembered the name of the company. Sounds like I could at least ask them if they could help with my problem. I've found if you ask one guy then maybe if he can't help maybe he can head you in the correct direction.
Thanks for any help--you were the only reply I had so hope this gets me somewhere.
Robert e. smith
catfishm@pwrtc.com

#4 ·
another question

We have suggested to us that we just try to find a caddy transmission that would fit a 1953 331 Cadillac --therefore a 1953-55 caddy transmission with converter and ring gear or flywheel(whatever it takes) Just grasping for straws here.
catfishdad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.