Hot Rod Forum banner

cats stopped up question

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  1ownerT 
#1 ·
i think my cats are stopped up on my 02 pontiac trans am ls1, i called the muffler shop to see if they could just weld a pipe in for them, he said he could but my car wouldnt start or run. i think hes full of it , but maybe.hes right

#6 ·
Cats stopped up

I have to laugh, do you realize running a gutted cat is a federal offense. The muffler shop guy must be out of his mind or totally ignorant of the laws. A junk yard in Rhode Island had to pay something like $150,000 in fines for selling used cats and installing gutted cats. It's your life, but I don't think I'd be bragging about running gutted cats on a popular web site. On the bright side the feds don't really care much about what private individuals do. But they're really looking for businesses to make examples of.

#7 ·
ernkazern said:
I have to laugh, do you realize running a gutted cat is a federal offense. The muffler shop guy must be out of his mind or totally ignorant of the laws. A junk yard in Rhode Island had to pay something like $150,000 in fines for selling used cats and installing gutted cats.
I agree. His just uttering eliminating cats makes him liable.

Low restriction replacement cats are available and not that costly.

#9 ·
ernkazern said:
I have to laugh, do you realize running a gutted cat is a federal offense. The muffler shop guy must be out of his mind or totally ignorant of the laws. A junk yard in Rhode Island had to pay something like $150,000 in fines for selling used cats and installing gutted cats. It's your life, but I don't think I'd be bragging about running gutted cats on a popular web site. On the bright side the feds don't really care much about what private individuals do. But they're really looking for businesses to make examples of.
Is it a federal offence if the guts blow out the pipe? it broke down and went out the back ......without proof that it didnt can anything be done.
Shane

#10 ·
Even if you never get caught gutting the cats your vehicle will most certainly fail an emissions test. Don't have a regular emissions test now? Who's to say you won't in 10 years, five years, next year?

KULTULZ has the best idea. If they're bad buy some good high flow cats from Summit or whoever sells them.

#15 ·
Augusto said:
Hey guys, I live in ECUADOR, we don't have emissions laws here, cats are not requiered.

Augusto.
:pain:

Was the car imported (by the manufacturer)? It should have had an emmissions delete.

Chevrolet4x4s said:
Is it a federal offence if the guts blow out the pipe? it broke down and went out the back ......without proof that it didnt can anything be done.
It is an offense to operate the vehicle with an inoperative emmission system.

You young guys had better realize that emmissions are installed as a reason and are here to stay. Learn to work with them, not against them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.