cboy's rat vandalized by penguin - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 11:14 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

cboy's rat vandalized by penguin

A photo of the dirty deed is attached.

The whole sordid tale:
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/66681/index.html

Actually, Cboy was kind enough to let me use a photo for that story. Hotrodders have been figuring out solutions to technical problems for decades and passing along what they find out. It's the same way with programmers; they just started about 20 years later than hotrodders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tux-weld.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	13888  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Move It On Over!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nice article.

Being a Sun unix guru, I think I will just stand back and watch the Linux and Windows fellows have it out

It's my experience that just because an OS says it supports something, doesn't always mean it does it right.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Every time I see that "Tux" cartoon I'm reminded of that joke where the penguin's car takes a dump and he drops it off at the garage. While the mechanic is looking at the car the penguin goes and gets a ice cream. It's a hot day and the ice cream is melted all over the penguins face and flippers. When he goes back to the garage the mechanic has found the problem. While still under the car he says "it looks like you blew a seal"

The penguin says "leave my personal life out of this."

I still can't figure out how to get a hp printer to work with my kids 4 year old lindows OS, even though all the linux using people say it is easy. Spending all these years not learning how to work windows makes it even harder to learn how to not learn how to do things with linux. I read that stuff and I know it is all in english....But like another kind of english.

Gnu, kernal, mandrake, ubuntu, linspire, fedora i'm in a harry potter book..

That article did look like it is very interesting. I'll let my kid read it. His mind is unpolluted by Microsoft and may benefit from it's wisdom.

later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 08-05-2006, 12:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66caprice
Nice article.

Being a Sun unix guru, I think I will just stand back and watch the Linux and Windows fellows have it out

It's my experience that just because an OS says it supports something, doesn't always mean it does it right.
Thanks!

Working with Sun, you probably saw up close that they came out with OpenSolaris because of the advance of Linux. I'm glad Sun finally did that. It lets the people who work with it every day actually improve the system instead of waiting for it to trickle down from on high.

Sun's support of devices is a different sort of focus than just about anyone else. They have a well-deserved reputation for optimizing the software-hardware combination for high speed and high reliability for servers. Not many big iron machines need to support things like a webcam from Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
<snipped>

I still can't figure out how to get a hp printer to work with my kids 4 year old lindows OS, even though all the linux using people say it is easy.
Ah, there's the problem: 4 years old. I think you may be talking to people who haven't been using it 4 years. 4 years ago, I would've recommended any computer geek to try it but a non-geek, who just wants things to work, I would've recommended they find the nerd in the neighborhood first.

Download and burn a new one or buy a few cheap CD versions and boot. I don't know if HP even had their open drivers 4 years ago. A lot has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Spending all these years not learning how to work windows makes it even harder to learn how to not learn how to do things with linux. I read that stuff and I know it is all in english....But like another kind of english.

Gnu, kernal, mandrake, ubuntu, linspire, fedora i'm in a harry potter book..

That article did look like it is very interesting. I'll let my kid read it. His mind is unpolluted by Microsoft and may benefit from it's wisdom.

later, mikey
I thought I knew about cars until I got here a couple of years ago. Been tinkering with them or repairing them for about 40 years and I still ran into quite a bit of jargon on here that I hadn't heard before. It took a little lurking to sort out some of it.

You know, I'm sure, that there are a lot of folks on here who are willing to help. It's the same way in any field, just as it's a sure bet there are some who will try to flaunt what they know just to make others feel 'dumb'.

If not for the help I got here, I still wouldn't have any sort of plan of where I want to go with my Olds. I'd probably still be trying to work on it out in the field, and just give up in disgust. I just couldn't list all the people who've helped, from air system and garage to using a computer to try out different mods and paint jobs.

The thing I tried to show with that article is that Linux is at the stage now where people who just want a 'turn-key' system can have it and those who want to customize it right down to the nuts and bolts can have that, too. I wanted to link back here to hotrodders.com because I know there are folks here who have to fight XP to get things done, and also because I want some Linux geeks to see another community where people have been having fun sharing information for decades.

Thanks for your kind words!
Old 08-05-2006, 07:04 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nicely done Grouch. I had never considered the parallels between Linux (and the whole concept of open source code) and hot rodding...but you've managed to bring that point home in a fun and interesting manner. I hope the computer guys enjoy it as much as the hot rodders.

Dewey

BTW, Tux makes the rat look pretty good.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, Dewey.

Maybe there will be a geek or two wander by here and help Jon out with some projects. The stuff he needs is over my head.

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.