Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   ceacked dash (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ceacked-dash-228171.html)

knight hawk 01-09-2013 12:24 PM

ceacked dash

my '69 Cutlass dash has couple small cracks i it . I've tried using the vynl patch stuff , where you mix the colors together till you get the shade you want , this worked fine and leather (vynl) 'grain design' pad over the fresh patch, but never seems to cure . It seemed like it necver really set up , so tried heating it with a shop lite , almost burned it , It looked fine for a short while, then cracked again. Maybe it needs a different method of heating it to cure ???? If so , how do you (I) do it ????thanks P S , it is a padded dash

chubbie 01-31-2013 05:47 PM

old thread?? not sure i can help, but i have done the same repair with the same kit and had the same results! that should count for something. I had a couple of "junk" dash pads and decided to experiment. i filled the crack with epoxy and tryed to lay it in as smooth as possible. i sanded and refilled and it started to look good!!!! the texture is the problem. my '66 cutlass has the innie texture and your '69 cutlass may have the outy texture. you can buy rough texture paint in a rattle can and carfully texture the area. i'm thinking you may have to color dye (paint) the whole dash. i've seen this done and it works!

i did the repairs 3 years ago and stored the dash pads in my attic extreme heat and below zerro again tonite and the repairs seem fine!! the repairs look so good that these 2 dash pads look better than the "good" one

PS i also experimented with "super glue" on the little cracks they are still holding also!!

knight hawk 01-31-2013 06:38 PM

I tried it again, using variuous temppperature on the 'pressing' tool. It's better, not like new.The proper heat, I think, is VERY criticle ! A couple times I had it looking pretty good, then tried alittle more heat, and made a mess. One major problem I had was it was alreay 'painted' over to differnt color, and with too much hear, the dye would separate from the vynl. I'll try it again one of these days.

chubbie 02-01-2013 02:27 PM

hawk.. the texture "bubble gum " kits might be the answer for the texture. no one will ever convince me it'll "glue" a crack and it will hold...FAIL

knight hawk 02-01-2013 04:17 PM

the textured paint sounds like what I need now , just what or where do i look for that ???thanks

chubbie 02-01-2013 09:11 PM

wrinkle paint is a rattle can that you should be able to buy at an auto parts store. when you spray it on it looks like its not going to work, goes on kinda smooth. give it time to flash between coats it will give you a fine texture like your vinyl dash.

knight hawk 02-02-2013 08:08 AM

I'll try it , thanks!!!

DanTwoLakes 02-02-2013 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SEM also has a textured product #39853. The can says "reproduces textured finish on automotive bumpers, dashes, fiberglass tops and plastic parts". I think it comes in black and also clear. This would be your best choice for your dash.

chubbie 02-02-2013 11:49 AM

Dan, that looks like a better product for this app.!!! i'll look for SEM textura also