Hot Rod Forum banner

center condsole

7K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
i have a 1949 chevy pickup and i want to put a condsole in the center for my radio and etc. i have a floor shifter so the condsole will have to go in front of the shifter. have anyone ever used a condsole from another vehicle that worked good. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! give me some pointers

#2 ·
kind of a tough one. Most guys wind up making something that will work for them could be simple or complex..I have made those from wood and finished them so they were nice and smooth..As well I have made consoles for a work truck that were rough and worked fine to hold a coffee cup and stray tools..

Sam

#7 ·
It might have been down as I see that no new folks can register - possibly hit with a virus which needs a clean up

Looks like a wealth of info there for those who don't mind getting their fingers sticky.

As far as consoles, I fabbed one together for my '31 from 3/8" tubing, put a sheet metal cover, then upholstered it with a premium vinyl. Looks great - except once I got the car done, I found that I had no room for my right knee(I'm 6'4" tall) so am storing it for the "next build"

This was set up for a stereo and a/c controls, as well as the Lokar shifter tho all of the holes hadn't been opened in the fabric in the photo.

Dave W

#10 ·
Center Console

TBrown, In my 54 F100 I built my center console using plywood sides, covered in carpet to match my floor. I used lexite for the center which I mounted my radio, frame lights switch, switch for my cowel vent and my A/C controls. Lexite, when painted from the back side, looks great from the otherside. I painted the lexite black to match my dash and it came out looking like glass on the outside and I don't worry about scratching the paint. I mounted my console to my B&M floor shifter bracket mounting holes used to mount the original B&M cover.:cool:

#12 · (Edited)
TBrown, In my 54 F100 I built my center console using plywood sides, covered in carpet to match my floor. I used lexite for the center which I mounted my radio, frame lights switch, switch for my cowel vent and my A/C controls. Lexite, when painted from the back side, looks great from the otherside. I painted the lexite black to match my dash and it came out looking like glass on the outside and I don't worry about scratching the paint. I mounted my console to my B&M floor shifter bracket mounting holes used to mount the original B&M cover.:cool:

This post is useless without pics. :D

Edit: Your pics showed up after I posted. :smash::smash:

#11 ·
I built the dash extension and console for my '33 sedan out of fiberglass. I shaped pink builder's foam to what I wanted, then covered it with aluminum foil (polyester resin eats pink foam). Laid glass mat over the foam in several layers, then pulled the foam out and finished the surface with body filler.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.