center line rims - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

center line rims

when running centerline 2 piece rims (i have 15x12) do u have to use tubs? i heard you can silicone the two halfs and i wouldnt have to.any guys gals do this

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I would think that there is some sort of sealant in there already........If the wheels were not designed for tubeless tires, I would think that they would not have the bead ridge built in either.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I run 15X15's and use tubes with the rear tires. I thought it was due to the tires though, not the wheels. The tires specified the use of tubes.

Jason
Old 02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:

It's the tires only that specify whether to use tubes.

When it comes to tires, tubeless tires have an "interliner" that is molded into the inner cavity of the tire. It's only function is to slow the migration of air molecules through the rubber and escape the tire, causing deflation. When a tube is added to the equation, heat generated from the friction between the tube and interliner will cause the tire to wear at an accelerated rate, and in some cases (usually in hotter climates, or in severe duty scenarios) will cause the tire to blow out.

Tires that are tube-type (usually bias ply or bias belted trailer or OTR tires, as well s some racing slicks) lack the interliner of traditional tires. And although you will see an accelerated wear characteristic due to the heat generation between the tire and tube, blowouts are usually not experienced.

The Centerline rim that you are using uses the silicone seal between the two halves to stop air loss. That seal is also designed to be replaced if ever necessary. It is an older design setup, being new methods eliminate the need for a silicone seal. This seal is not intended to be used as a deciding factor in whether to run a tube or not.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 PM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Another question on Centerlines.

I recently looked at Centerline auto drag wheels. Cast into the center spacer was; Bias ply tires only.

So, you aren't suppose to use radial tires on Centerline wheels?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

center line rims

my tires don't have anything bout being tubelss or not, they are a hoosier dirt tire M90
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg

I recently looked at Centerline auto drag wheels. Cast into the center spacer was; Bias ply tires only.

Hmmm IDK, I know some wheels are supposed to be radial only and some Bias only, I think it has something to do with the engineering behind the wheel.
Shane
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg

Supposedly it has to do with the density of the aluminum. Cast wheels that use a pour only method will flex more, and are better suited with bias tires, which do not flex in the sidewall nearly as much as a radial. Back in the 90s, American Eagle had issued with their cast wheels with radial tires. Oftentimes the wheels would develope small stress cracks, and cause leaks.

Vacuum-drawn cast wheels are more durable because the cooling is more even. These wheels flex less and are better suited for radial tires. They are also more common as the method is becoming cheaper to use in wheel production. As an example, OE Ford wheels are often stamped with "Radial tire only" on the inside of the wheel.

Forged wheels (which Centerline usually forges their wheels) are dictated on whether they are intended for radial or bias by the thickness of the aluminum.

Centerline likely stamped "bias ply only" because if you had a radial tire mounted onto the wheels, it's more likely that the wheel will bend under load. Also, if you fasten the slick (assuming you use it for drag racing) with sheet metal screws, a radial tire, due to it's flex, may cause the aluminum to tear and may pose a liability issue with Centerline.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.