Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Center Link length on steering?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo
I am not chopping on you. The statement that all that matters is that the outer tie rod is the same length as the lower control arm is very broad, and not always correct. In the OPs case, with the lower control arm inner pivot shafts angled as they are, there is a very large difference between the correct lengths for front steer vs rear steer, with no other changes. The link I posted at the top, explains how to figure the correct lengths taking all the variables into consideration.

I also am not an engineer, but have engineered a lot of cars, both street and race. I have made a lot of mistakes also, and had to do it over. I am just trying to save some one from making mistakes, and having to do things over.

I am sorry if I offended you, I am sure you are answering from experience, and in a lot of cases, your answer would be close enough. But in this case, since the inner control arm shafts are angled so much, the rule of thumb is not the answer.
I understand what you are saying being I was just talking about the "basic" idea which is why I said, "I think in a nut shell the link where it pivots needs...."

I am with you that it is more complex than I led it to be, I didn't mean to sound that it was the answer that I was posting, it was more of a general answer. With the beautiful layout he posted I am sure Mutt knew that he didn't get the whole answer in my post. Thanks for clarifying though, it's all good.

Brian