Hot Rod Forum banner

Center Links for C10's

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mjgord51 
#1 ·
I think they are year specific being they are like this,

63-70 uses 5/8" threaded diameter inner tie rods
71-72 uses 11/16" threaded diameter inner tie rods
73-87 uses same as 71-72

My question is at the point that the tie rod is attached to the Center Link is the Tapered mounting areas differ or change there sizes from the year differences as shown above. I will try and post a picture in what I am describing.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Center Link/Tie Rod

I have a 68 C10 LWB Fleet coils all 4 corners that past owners have "Thoroughly Molested" it in all ways from bumper to bumper. What I have found out in whats been installed so far is 92-02 Spindles & Disc Rotors 6 lug 1 1/8" thick. The frt. cross member has a cut/notch to allow the center link to go side to side like it should & does. The spindles (disc) are 1/2" shorter at the arm that attaches the outer tie rod at (6"). The stock 67-70 spindles (drums) are 6 & 1/2" long, that extra 1/2" I think is why the cross member was cut/notched in the first place.

I am just trying to get the Truck back a little closer to stock form so as when needing replacements its not so much of a mind Fu*K . Also for the next guy it will make it easer. Too bad for me & my Wallet I was the next guy. Here is a pic showing what I just posted about. Again thanks in advance

Attachments

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure they are all 7 degree tapers and the thread size wouldn't really matter as long as the stud length is the same. You can always use a reamer to fit. You can also cut the taper out with a 5/8 drill bit and use a heim joint for custom tie rods.

#6 ·
The stud lengths are the same & yes maybe the tapers are the same But the stud thickness changes and will allow each one to sit further in than the other one while using a 71-72 Center Link, Pic below will show difference.

As for using a reamer that would just make matters worse. The 67-70 Tie Rod already fits sloppy in the 71-72 center Link.

What is this "heim joint" for custom tie rods?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.