Centering a Ford 9"? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Centering a Ford 9"?

I have a Ford 9" that is going in my 57 Chevy pickup. I am having it narrowed by some fellow rodders and will have the axles shortened by Curie or some place similar. Right now both axles are the same length so the center section is off-center by 1", ie:one side of the housing is 2" longer than the other side. Should I just have them narrow the housing the same amount on each side or do the long side more to center things? I seem to remember on rods "they" like the housing centered for a better look from the back. I know the pinion will be off-center by 1" but that shouldn't hurt the driveshaft. Am I being too anal?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Being slightly off centre will not hurt anything....other than looks. Much more important to make sure your up and down pinion angles are correct.

Budget RVs
Old 11-03-2005, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

I would like to know this answer too. I planed on centering my pinion with my tranny. and from the back the center of the housing would be off that inch. I was thinking the drive shaft in a straight line from tranny to the rearend was most important over the housing lookin center from rear of car.

Mustangsaly
Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

Having the pinion off center should not cause a problem with vibration. The more I think about this I realize it would be hard to see the 1" difference from the back of a lowered truck. Why should I worry?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

my 63 nova is gona gave the prostreet look, narrowed 9" with 14 to 16" of rubber on the ground. when my 400 to 450hp sbc hooks up, i want my driveline in a straight line. i only want to do this once. but its something i've wondered about.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I just got a narrowed 9" from Autoweld Chassis (housing, ends, Moser axles) and it came with the pinion is centered. There is about 4" difference between the LH & RH axles...

Russ
Old 11-04-2005, 09:11 PM

Last journal entry: 32 3window coupe project
Last photo:

rear ends

i was able to use a maverick rear that had been modified on my 32 .. moser cut and splined new axles for me ...i have recentley purchased from jegs a neat 9 inch houseing that comes with adjustable tubes that you can set and weld in your self ...this will be for a 32 coupe that i will start soon ...and a angle and degree finder is a must for finding the right pinion angle
Old 11-04-2005, 09:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The fact that a Ford 9" pinion is not centered is inconsequential. Many cars have this offset from the factory. The important thing is that the pinion shaft and the trans output shaft are parallel. As long as they are parallel, centered or not you're OK providing the angle doesn't exceed about 3 degrees (and an inch or two won't even come near that unless you have an extremely short driveline as in a T-bucket).

The most important thing of all is the pinion angle which has been covered ad-infinitum on this board..... Just do a search on pinion angle and you'll find a couple hours of reading on the subject.

Last edited by Centerline; 11-05-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

As I understand it the pinion center should be aligned at right angles to the axle centerline, that means if the rear pinion is not centered in relation to the transmission output shaft there is a compound misalignment that results in a secondary harmonic.

In my experience I have tried it offset or centered and found no difference (look at any farm implement) so I think this is an effect that only occurs at extremely high rpm under heavy load (think top fuel dragster at the end of the 1/4 mile) so for the average joe it means nothing and you can misalign to you hearts content. Within reason of course, a u-joint can only tolerate at most 15 degrees at low speeds and only 7 at the kind of speed and load a hot rod will see. I would suggest staying within a couple of degrees, one inch offset would likely work out to 1 degree or so...no problem.

What is more important is getting the pinion angle right, that is where most people have problems with a shortened axle. Take the time and dial it in, split the angle that rear axle moves through (move the axle without springs to see the angle change).

I like them centered myself.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

it may not make a big difference but, the straighter the drive line the easier and less force it takes to turn the rearend right ? if the rearend is off one way or the other the u joints/driveshaft is gona be is some what of a bind correct ? even if its a small amount of a bind. isn't the most efficient way to get the hp to the ground to have the drive shaft in a straight line ?

Mustangsaly
Old 11-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

A popular swap in Australia is to use Holden one tonner axles/tubes and brakes with a 28 spline 9in centre. We take 4mm off the lh axle so it won't hit the cross shaft and the pinion is offset 1 1/2 inches to the right. I've used this set up for 8 years and over 110000 miles. I've towed boats, been on rough outback tracks and wound it off the clock in NT (no open road speed limit). I broke one rear uni through bad axle hop, but I've seen that with stock pinion location. No noticable vibration or "drumming" through the car at speed.
My car has a 114in wheelbase and leaf springs. Remember, if there is no offset(horizontal or vertical) the needle rollers won't turn and the uni will fail. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:50 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the replies. Like most things with this project this is a personal decision. Now I just have to decide on a length....
Old 11-13-2005, 11:44 AM

centering a ford rear

If you check a Mustang you will see that the rear is off from the factory. The engine is offset to one side and the rear is too. Works O.K.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:20 AM

I was talking to a local guy , who sets up rearends for a lot of hotrodders in our area, he said the ring gear should be centered on the car. So much for the pinion I think. I haven't a clue, but this ole boys been doing it a long time.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:01 AM
a newbie all dressed up

Moser makes a nine inch housing that centers them both. pinion and housing. give em a call and he can make to any length desired.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.