Central Machinery 7" x 10" Precision Mini Lathe - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 PM
THUG LIFE

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I think the responses, they confirmed what my initial thoughts were about this lathe. I never even made it down to take a look at one yet & don't think I'll bother.

I passed up a deal on a big american made gear head lathe ( I don't remember the brand ) that one of my old bosses was selling a couple of years ago that we used to cut open torque converters & machine some parts on when rebuilding torque converters & now I'm kicking myself in the butt.

I've been looking on craigslist, haven't checked out Ebay yet, but I'm gonna start looking again. I guess till I get one I'll have the machine shop around the corner make my small parts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I used one of those once, its good for making tiny shavings on tiny parts very slowly. I would try to find a big used lathe.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

It *is* possible to go too far in the other direction. A few years ago, I ran across a large lathe for $1200. The owner was even willing to haul it for me. I had to grit my teeth and pass it up. No way to unload it, no way to move it into my garage, no room in my garage if I did get it moved.

Like you, I got good advice from folks on Hotrodders.com. There are good links and information in that thread, too.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Central Machinery lathes

Quote:
I have the somewhat larger 8x12 mini (#44859-4) and I've never ever used it. I thought I'd have all sorts of need for a lathe in my fabrication work but I couldn't even wade through the directions in the manual to get it set up. It's always been easier for me to just find an alternative way to fabricate something. Maybe someday I'll get it going but it's too bad you don't live down the block from me. I'd have been happy to let this out the door at a very reasonable price to somebody who wanted to see if they could make it work for them.
Hi cboy,
What is your very reasonable price for this lathe? I am a student in machining and I believe that this lathe can help me practice, in my courses. If you have any photos I would appreciate to send as well. You may send your response to: ************
Regards,

Last edited by schnitz; 06-05-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Other.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.