Century 85Amp welder need help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Century 85Amp welder need help

Hi all,
I am new to the forum. I just got a welder from a friend and it is not working. It's a century model 117-050 85A wire feed Mig. When I turn it on it hums a bit and then trips the circuit. He thinks the transformer is possibily bad. Does anyone know where I can aquire a parts list or manual for this welder so I might repair it on my own. I am an electrican, but have never done any welding, and always wanted to so i am quite excited to have this unit, and would love to get it operational. Any help would be great. I haven't pulled the case open yet so I can not give any insight to the inner workings. A parts list would be excellent if anyone has one please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2004, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Century welders were recently purchased by The Lincoln Electric Co.. The
products are not yet listed on the web, but you may call 1-866-236-0044,
ext. 3 if you have questions. Call this number and you will get a Century tech and ask for a manuel for your welder model #. I had a Century (Craftsmen) 85 amp with gas and was very happy with it for up to 3/16" mild steel. I sold it to friend a few years ago and bought the Century 170GS mig. Good luck
Old 08-28-2004, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the information

Just wanted to let everyone know, that I called the 800 number for lincoln welders and got a tech who could more then explain the cause of my problem. He knew the model welder I ahd before I even told him. I had him email me the manual for the 117-050 85A welder If anyone nneds this manual Please feel free to email me directly and I will send them the PDF file. Thanks for all youer help I'll try the fix the tech gave me and let all know how it works out.

Joe
Old 09-22-2004, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

century 85 amp welder

Hey Bluzman23, how did you come out with your welder? Was the tech guy right? Just curious if the welder is working for you now?
Old 09-29-2004, 02:36 PM

Welder Is Working Great

Hi All,
I pulled apart my welder and Installed 6 new diodes. I checked them and had 4 blown diodes, I replaced the other 2 on the rectifier which were ok, since i figured i already had it apart. I turned it on and the circuit didn't blow. I went out and got some contact tips and gave it a brief testing. So far so good. Now I can mess around with learning speed and heat settings and then eventually getting into using gas while welding.
Thanks for all your help, and again if anyone needs the manual please feel free to email me.

Joe
Old 09-29-2004, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

85 amp Century

I think if you start out with gas you will be so much happier with the welder. I had my 85amp Century mig for about eight years before I sold it and bought the Century 170GS (both have been a great welder with no problems) and always used 75% co2 with 25% argon mix and it worked very well. I tried flux core once and got to lazy for the clean up with the flux and gave the rest of wire to a nieghbor (newbie welder) and he used it till he started paying attenion to my welds. Wasn't long 'till he went and bought the gas setup for his welder. Just a thought for ya' Bluzman23! Thanks for letting us know your welder is up and running, I think you will have fun with it!! Late
Old 07-24-2006, 01:25 PM
olfdart

century 85 amp welder

I would love to have a copy of that manual! Olfdart@oldphones.us
Old 07-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfdart
I would love to have a copy of that manual! Olfdart@oldphones.us
Hey olfdart, go back and read message 2 of this thread. Call them and they will send you manual.

Last edited by gcrmcc; 07-24-2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: misspelling olfdarts user name!
Old 07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
olfdart

Century 85Amp welder need help

I did and they will send it in a week or 2. I was hoping to get it sooner from Bluzman23 or anyone that might have the pdf file!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Century 85 (117-050-85A) manual

HI. I would like to have a copy of that manual in PDF. Someone local to me is selling one and I'd like to have the manual for it.
-Mike-
mds1024a ({at}) mailshack [d'0't] com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman23
Just wanted to let everyone know, that I called the 800 number for lincoln welders and got a tech who could more then explain the cause of my problem. He knew the model welder I ahd before I even told him. I had him email me the manual for the 117-050 85A welder If anyone nneds this manual Please feel free to email me directly and I will send them the PDF file. Thanks for all youer help I'll try the fix the tech gave me and let all know how it works out.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
olfdart

I believe you will find he has the manual. this is a very good little welder. If you need any parts they are easy to get.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 AM

If this manual is still available, I would love to have it.
Just bought the sears/craftsman version of it at a pawn shop for 86 bucks..
So far it really seems like a nice little welder

thebennyman@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman23
Hi All,
I pulled apart my welder and Installed 6 new diodes. I checked them and had 4 blown diodes, I replaced the other 2 on the rectifier which were ok, since i figured i already had it apart. I turned it on and the circuit didn't blow. I went out and got some contact tips and gave it a brief testing. So far so good. Now I can mess around with learning speed and heat settings and then eventually getting into using gas while welding.
Thanks for all your help, and again if anyone needs the manual please feel free to email me.

Joe
I need a couple of these diodes..can you tell me the part number? Could you email it to me? butch7565@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
Butch7565
Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 AM

Motor mount for mig wire feed - Project

I have a Blue Point welder from Snap On. I'm looking for a part. It is the tension motor mount. I put to much. and the mounting plate has broken. Can't find any parts #or manual. Model MB 120. Any info would be help full.And Thank you.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.