Century dual feed welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Century dual feed welder

I'm thinking about buying a Century dual feed welder. Do you think this would be an improvement over my HF flux core welder or should I save my money?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I have a 160 amp Century MIG welder and it is a good machine. I bought it in 89, have run it way hard for days doing production welding when I had those types of jobs, , I have exceeded it's 60% duty cycle, many times, just doing long welds....... no doubt about that, but it always comes back on in less than a minute..I know it never cut out before 8 or 10 minutes of pretty straight welding at full bore. (my little lincoln sp 100 is good for about 5 minutes at the highest settings)

In the 20 years I've owned it I had to replace the cooling fan, and the main circuit board which had developed a break somewhere..., both parts were available from Lincoln, (they own Century now), and showed up in just a few days when I ordered them from my local welding supply.

I'm not sure exactly what a dual feed is, but I can run aluminum or steel wire, it had the right rollers in it's parts kit... all I would need is the large liner for .045 Al...The leads are easily reversable so I can run flux core ...if I ever wanted to....

I bought it new, and one of the reasons I bought it was less expensive than the equivilent miller or lincoln, and it was still made in the US...

I would say it is an alright welder, based on my experiences.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I like hf stuff but a 12v battery and jumper cables will weld better than their welders. Mikes right about centuries,but also concider a good used one like a miller 250 or lincoln
Old 05-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The century stuff is a decent machine for home use. Many parts are still available through Lincoln for them.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

i also have a century 160 wire feed welder in my garage. it works pretty good for the most part .if you do weld in a garage out of the wind it works good with gas.but if you weld any outside you can use flux wire with good results. i have welded stainless with it and alluminum also .for the price i paid for it its done alot of welding. ive welded up to 1/4 inch steel with it.eventully id like to get a big lincoln portable with a spool gun for alluminum . its digital and has a lot of settings .but it costs about 7 grand.next year ill get one.if your welding thicker than 1/4 inch steel youd better have a big welder that puts out some voltage. i weld in a big shop for a living and we use big miller industrial welders with remote wire feeders .they are basicaly big arc welding machines with a separate wire feeder .i can weld up to 45 volts dc with one .it all depends on what type of welding your planing on doing.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM

any of you old timers remember SOLAR ? I've got a mig that takes four guys to lift,its very old and I use it every day,hows it possible that this thing still works,and works so well?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

solar isn't that old.....worked on quite a few pretty decent machines.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 PM

olds kool,when did they start making them ?this machine has stitch and spot capibilities,I've only seen them on thirty year old machines,I think its a 225 model 220v
Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

I posted this in a thread about Help me pick a welder, so I figured that since it was such a good deal and you are asking for opinions on welders I would post it here also.

About six weeks ago (actually ten weeks now) I bought the Hobart 500304 Ironman 210 Single Phase Mig Welding Package 220 volt 210 amp mig welder. It is pre wired for the spool gun and their spool gun is a cheaper price then anything else I have seen. It arrived at the local yellow freight about a week and a half later and I picked it up. All I can say is that I absolutely love this welder! The total cost was only 1101.38$. It came with everything except tank and helmet. I looked at used welders and the various discount tool welders and I kept coming back to this one. I looked at Miller and Lincoln also but they were in a higher price range. When I checked with the two local Hobart dealers they both told me that they couldn't buy the same welder as cheap as I could so they didn't even try to compete with the price. I bought it from a company called toolfetch.com They were running a 5% discount but it looks like they have discontinued it but they still have free shipping. I got the 5% discount plus free shipping so maybe you can call and still get the discount. It is probably more than you want to spend but check out this warranty:
"Hobart's 5/3/1 warranty - five year warranty on transformers, stabilizers and generators; three years on electronics (drive motors, rectifiers); and one year on guns (MIG and plasma torches)."
That is why I went ahead and got a new one. I have been welding for more than thirty years and this one is a good one. The last mig that I had was a Millermatic 200. I liked it also but I lost it in divorce. In 1989 I paid close to 1500.00 for it so I was well pleased to find this one at such a good price. This welder will do anything that the average hotrodder would need to do. When you go to the site be sure and look at the reviews, mine is under the name doodle.

Chris
Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
olds kool,when did they start making them ?this machine has stitch and spot capibilities,I've only seen them on thirty year old machines,I think its a 225 model 220v
Not real sure when they started making them....I believe the ones i've done were in the 80's or early 90s vintage. A lot of them do have the spot function. They weld pretty nice too. The spot function is still around on other manufacturers it's just usually an optional piece.

The hobart machine is a great choice also. The small ones are of the same parent company as miller NOT owned by miller though, but when you open a small hobart it has a lot of miller part numbers on it. Bigger hobarts are supported by thermadyne now.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM

for 1,100 bucks it sounds like a great deal and if a 30 yr vet loves it,sounds like good advice to concider.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.