Hot Rod Forum banner

Ceramic v.s coated/3" or 2" exhaust??

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
Hi y'all,
I got lucky & scored some ceramic coated headers for my 68 Chevelle w/383 stroker, my question is twofold:

1. The ceramic coated headers are in fair shape but have some heavy scratching in very visible areas (probably yanked motor out w/headers:boxing:) Can you paint over ceramic headers? Atleast to hide the most obvious damage (none of the ceramic was scratched through, no metal is visible. I know the usual hi-temp spray cans are bogus, but Eastwood claims to have found a spray paint that does work, & they're known for quality products. Still, I dont want to plunk down 40$ for something that flakes off next week...All feedback welcome.

2. What are the advantages of installing a 3" exhaust aside from the noise? Dont the header collectors restrict anything beyond their dimesion? I'm thinking of possible scavenging effect or am I dreaming?

Thanks as usual to all replies, regards, Boulonman

#2 ·
There won't be anything that will be able to be painted over the ceramic, if you want them to look good they will have to have the ceramic re-coated. Fine Scotchbrite pads can be used to buff out minor scratches, as can chrome polish and a rag(slower method), and seems like I've heard very fine steel wool(or maybe it was brass wool, I don't remember) but you would want to search for more info on using steel wool before trying it.

Or sand blasted clean and painted ...which never holds for long, despite claims by paint manufacturers...that's why there are a dozen or so coating companies in business.

If the header has a 2.5" collector a 3" pipe system will just be a waste. If you aren't making over 500 hp, the 3" is a waste anyway, just a way to drain your wallet and punish your ears.

#6 ·
T.Y Pats55,
I didnt know they sold ceramic in small qtys. Good to know & definetly worth trying. So if for whatever reason my ceramic patching doesnt take or looks crappy, is there anykind of quality hi-temp spry-cn paint that will stick to ceramic coated headers for any length of time?

peace, Alan

#5 ·
i did my headers with hi temp paint from auto zone. i let them sit for a week to off gas and hit it with the hi temp clear. they lasted for a few yr's and scuffed again and repainted.. worked good for me anyways.
Thanx delawarebill,
Everybody claims spray can paint regardless of price or claims simply doesnt last, but a couple of years sounds good to me! I just dont know if good quality hi-temp paint will stick to ceramic coated headers, what do you think?
regards, Alan

#14 ·
T.Y Pats55,
So If I understood you correctly, correctly prepared ceramic will hold paint, & VHT has a hi-temp paint that actually works for a decent amount of time (by that, I mean it doesnt flake off after the first few start-ups!)
Thanx for the info, you may have saved me a few hundred dollars!!
PS: Where do you find this VHT hi-temp paint/motorcycles?

#11 ·
the tbucket in my post pic is the one i painted. i used silver then cleared it.. let the silver sit for a wk then cleared and sit for a wk also.. it's supposed to be oven treated, but i don't have an oven that big, so i just air dried it..
Wow! Those look good delawarebill,
So you used Hi-Temp silver from Auto-zone + clear w/out heating it (I assume they tell you to bake them for x amount of time @ x amount of temp??) And these are the results (looking like newish real ceramic coated headers) and its been 2 years??? I have an extra set of uncoated headman headers, if you could kindly make sure I read you correctly, you would be saving me a few hundred dollars which are much needed for another upgrade I'm planning to do.
regards, Alan

#9 ·
Unusual facts for ceramic coating

In 1989 I was introduced to ceramic coatings. I had a coated manifold on my table At Zephyrhills A young woman came up to the table and looked at the little bottles and said she had been looking for this stuff for two years. She had bought it from JC Whitney, she had used it on her manifolds and it was great stuff.She then said that after coating dried , you pour gasoline on it and polish it with a copper brush. I looked at her like she was from the moon. I called the plant and asked them did you sell this in JC Whitney? They laughed and said no some other guy did and it was true about pouring gasoline on it and polishing it with a copper brush. The EPA would love that today.Ceramic coatings is a fascinating subject. They offer great heat protection and very, very difficult to chip. It can be used on any toothy , oil free surface

#10 ·
In 1989 I was introduced to ceramic coatings. I had a coated manifold on my table At Zephyrhills A young woman came up to the table and looked at the little bottles and said she had been looking for this stuff for two years. She had bought it from JC Whitney, she had used it on her manifolds and it was great stuff.She then said that after coating dried , you pour gasoline on it and polish it with a copper brush. I looked at her like she was from the moon. I called the plant and asked them did you sell this in JC Whitney? They laughed and said no some other guy did and it was true about pouring gasoline on it and polishing it with a copper brush. The EPA would love that today.Ceramic coatings is a fascinating subject. They offer great heat protection and very, very difficult to chip. It can be used on any toothy , oil free surface
Wow!! T.Y Pats55,
That's cool to know, they do look great new, but lose their shine w/time. Did I understand you correctly? You sale touch-up bottles for ceramic hdrs., or is it a form of ceramic that doesnt involve heat?t Can you coat an entire set of headers with your product?, & get similar results like those new ceramic coated headers for sale which are considerably more expensive than your garden varity brand name header.
Intrigued, boulonman

#12 ·
Yes we have 4 and 8 ounce bottles of ceramic coating. Ceramic coating can be done by you. You need to blast the headers, run a propane torch over, them to ensure there is no oil contamination. This is a water-based, coating, so oil is a no-no. A gallon of ceramic does 800 ft.² this is twice the distance of what regular paint usually does. A gallon weighs 16 pounds .The way to apply is with a touch up of gravity gun.Spray the edges and the flanges then open up the fluid setting and landing good heavy coat all the way around. At this point you can let it air dry for 48 hours or bake in an oven at 500° for an hour. Now comes the hard part ,polishing it You start very gently with very fine steel wool initially, then polish it with metal polish. A dremel tool works good for this. It takes time and patience but you can get it to really shine. This coating is loaded with aluminum flake. So after while, like polished aluminum it will begin to dull.A soft rag will buff it back up. There are different types of ceramics. Some are highly carcinogenic, if you were put that piece in your oven. You could never eat food out of it again This coating is not carcinogenic

#16 ·
Cool pats55,
Last time I asked, the only other option was having them professionally dipped. So theyve come along way w/ceramic coating...It's probably a fraction of the price for brand new ceramic headers. I also have an extra set of headman headers in good shape laying around, I'de like to experiment on, before spending hours patching up my current scratched up ceramic set. Where can I order this stuff & how much is needed for a full set of headers?
thanks again for some really useful knowledge,
regards, Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.