chambered exhaust too loud on a 350 nova??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
drive it like you stole it!

Last journal entry: engine
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1971 Nova With chambered Exhaust!!! too loud?????????????????????????????????????????

i just about 3 hours ago ordered a set of powersticks (chambered exhaust) made by classic chambered inc. they are the 31" long ones with 2.5 inlet/outlet. they go straight back from a set of hooker headers into 45 degree bends and will exit out right infront of the rear tires. do you think this will be enought sound deadening for a daily driver? i already bought everything needed from the headers to the chrome tips! so there is no going back now! do you think this will be too loud? im not worried about it bugging me tho because im 16 and love LOOOUUUD EXHAUST intill i eventualy lose my hearing when im older due to it!!! lol

the engine is a 355 SB with 370HP & 415 Ft. Lbs. of torque (dyno proven) and this is going to be my daily driver to school and work and where ever i want to go!

thanks!

later!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

chambered exhaust too loud on a 350 nova???

i just about 3 hours ago ordered a set of powersticks (chambered exhaust) made by classic chambered inc. they are the 31" long ones with 2.5 inlet/outlet. they go straight back from a set of hooker headers into 45 degree bends and will exit out right infront of the rear tires. do you think this will be enought sound deadening for a daily driver? i already bought everything needed from the headers to the chrome tips! so there is no going back now! do you think this will be too loud? im not worried about it bugging me tho because im 16 and love LOOOUUUD EXHAUST intill i eventualy lose my hearing when im older due to it!!! lol

the engine is a 355 SB with 370HP & 415 Ft. Lbs. of torque (dyno proven) and this is going to be my daily driver to school and work and where ever i want to go!

thanks!

later!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 PM

Well, not to be a smart###, but if you've spent the money, and love loud pipes, why are you asking if it'll be quit enough for a daily driver?
If your asking if you think you'll get a ticket over it......that depends on location....and how liberal you are with your right foot.
Take it easy, and you might be fine. Chambered pipes are loud.
It'll soung good....but a radio might be pretty much useless.
Have fun!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

I see you are from Washington state and 16 years old. I too am young (19), and am a resident of Washington state. All I can say is that if you're from the Seattle area like me, you'll want to quiet that down a bit. The cops are pretty harsh around here when it comes to young drivers. (It's called profiling.) I don't know what it's like in eastern WA, but around here it's better to have a quieter car than your talking about.

My plan is to put in electrically operated exhaust cutouts. Just flip a switch and my quiet, rumbley MOPAR BB turns into the screaming banshee when wound up to 7000. I like a quiet car, but it's so nice to drown out the car next to you at the drag strip.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,144 Times in 943 Posts
Oh Boy, to be 16 again and lovin' loud pipes. My daily driver was a '48 Ford Tudor with a '51 Merc flathead. In those days, it was cool to run pipes straight out under the differential and end them at the back of the car. They were called scavengers. I had a set on the old Ford sans mufflers of any kind. YEEAAHH BUDDY.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Joab
My plan is to put in electrically operated exhaust cutouts. Just flip a switch and my quiet, rumbley MOPAR BB turns into the screaming banshee when wound up to 7000.
Those are sweet....
Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Straight pipes were the only way to fly when I was 16, and I still like a loud exhaust. I think you'll probably be happy with how she sounds but the cops and neighbors-probably not...
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

ya i live in tacoma, wa and most of the cops i know (im freinds with most of them, my uncles a pig...i mean cop!) and they mostly just pull over tuner cars because most cops are retired hotrodders and generaly like muscle cars. exept the ********* cops!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 PM

Get a good set of mufflers and put them on. It does not matter much where you have it to exit, it will still be loud with the exhaust you are using. After a while you will start to lose some of your hearing, I know this for fact since I have two hearing aids now.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 AM

ive had several cars with chambered exhaust. just 2 years or so ago i had a 69 firebird with them. i'd run tailpipes for sure. this setup sounds very throaty. much nicer than the typical flowmasters. with pipes exiting in front of the tires (right behind your ears) it'll probably be way too loud. just put them on and take it to any competant exhaust shop and have tailpipes made. you'll love the sound.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:33 AM

i posted in your other thread about this. as i stated there chambers sound good if you also put tailpipes behind them. it'll be too loud and rattle your brain without tailpipes. you fellers talking about straight pipes in the old days i can relate too. since i'm partial to trucks, and ive owned many of them, i ran unmuffled stacks on alot of them. i love the sound of unmuffled stacks and a cammed up v-8. its music to my ears. i'm 50 years old and still love it, i'm presently building a v-8 s-10 unlike any other that will have unmuffled stacks.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I merged your two threads ChevyMM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:02 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

ChevyMM, I'm going to echo Pete! No matter how cool it is, don't get the pipes to loud if this is going to be a daily driver. That's fine for a weekend car, but you'll pay for it later if you drive it daily. My wagon has a DynoMax Super Turbo chamber muffler in it. It's eventually going to get replaced by something a bit quieter. Love the sound, but after four years of running it's got old. I can have a conversation with a passenger or we can listen to the radio going down the road, but you can't do both. I find I'm having to turn the radio up a little higher lately, which concerns me! I'm 45, and have spent 24 years in the military (civil engineers, basically construction -- ready to retire in a couple months now!), so I've been around lots of loud noise. I know it's hard, but you better take a bit better care of yourself now! It's funny to think you'll be old and need hearing aids one day, but it doesn't have to be that way! Enjoy yourself, but think a bit first. It's okay now because it will be 20 years before you feel any effects, but believe me, 20 years from now you'll regret having done some of the stupid stuff we all did when young rather than having not done it.

It's easy to think "I'll live hard and die young" now, but when you get around 40 and look around, you'll feel different about that "die young" crap!! I want to be able to still move and work on hot rods and stuff when I'm 70+!! It would be nice to be able to still hear the people around me instead of just the loud car too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.