Champion vs Quincy compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Champion vs Quincy compressor

I've narrowed down my choices of compressors to either a Quincy QT-7.5 Max Quincy Max 7.5HP 2-Stage 80-Gal Vertical Air Compressor - TP Tools & Equipment or a Champion 7.5 Advantage http://www.tptools.com/Champion-75HP....html?b=d*8066. The stats for these two compressors are pretty close although this website says the pump speed of the Quincy is 720 RPM but the Quincy brochure says 1026 RPM. The Champion pump warranty is pro-rated for 5 years whereas the Quincy is 100% for 5 years, if you buy a maintenance kit every year. Champion head valves are 1 year vs Quincy valve plate for 2 years. Champion motor and tank are 5 years vs Quincy for 2 years.
If I don't buy through mail order, the Quincy distributor with a parts dept is about 20 miles away vs Champion in the next state, >75 miles away. Buying through the local dealer, the Quincy is about $700 more then the Champion.
Both of these company's compressors are ranked high for quality on various websites I've gone to seeking information. I'm looking for opinions from people and hopefully from someone in the compressor repair business that knows these compressors, as to whether or not the Quincy is worth the extra money. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Try them both - and buy the quieter one!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

I have the Quincy and love it.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

I worked for a shop that had a Champion compressor..This compressor was placed in a small room 3x5" under a stair well with no ventilation except the 24" entry door.. The Champion survived over ten years in this invironment. The room temp well above one hundred degrees most of the time. Some days almost constant running..

When we moved the shop. I swore that when I bought my next compressor. It would be a Champion.. I did and placed it under a roof outside with plenty of open space around it. Chain link walls.. The original unit described above is still in operation.. The heads have had new gaskets and motor/relay/control box has been replaced because of present power company only supplys 180 volts on hot summer days. Kills capacitor and start windings.. but old Champ still supplies air on a constant basis.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I would have to go with the Quincy out of the two...

But I like my Belair better then both of them..
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

I will be the first to admit I am biased toward the Quincy but I am for a darn good reason! Champion is a really good outfit and it would be very difficult to find fault with them but Quincys in my experience have the best track record of anything out there, I sold and serviced air systems for the better part of 30 years and the Quincy could just not be beat for dependability! Our systems were mostly installed on heavy service trucks that operated in very harsh conditions, mostly open-pit mining, and some of the things I have seen the Quincys survive made a believer out of me. My own personal compressor is a Quincy that I bought used when I first started in the welding business back in 1968 and that old pump is still running today! Like me it does not have to do what it did "back in the day" but the fact it has outlived two tanks and two gas engines and has been running for years now with an electric motor is a fine testament to the durability built into a Quincy. I am reasonably sure you will be happy with either choice but for me I would not hesitate to buy the Quincy.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks to all. I ended up with the Quincy but when it arrived it had a WEG motor on it. I contacted the dealer and without hesitation, they ordered me a Baldor motor for it. Now I have to find the time to run the wires in the garage!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.