Hot Rod Forum banner

change motors

Tags
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  joe_padavano 
#1 ·
I want to put a 302 in place of a 3.0 , in a 2003 ford ranger edge pickup. what all do I have to change ? thanks

#5 ·
detail info

one of the forums I linked to has detailed info on all the electronic and wiring connections, When I lived in california it was legal to install a newer engine in an older vehicle as long as all the emission equipment was installed and you had to get it certified by a referee. Charlies Mustangs in Northern california did a lot of Mustang and Ranger smog legal swaps. I don't know if anyone continued the business after he passed away,.

#6 ·
When I lived in california it was legal to install a newer engine in an older vehicle as long as all the emission equipment was installed and you had to get it certified by a referee.
It's still legal there, and many other states have adopted this law. There are two major requirements. First, as you note, the swap must include ALL the emissions equipment from the donor car installation. Second, the engine must be emissions certified for the same classification of vehicle (car, light truck, heavy truck). The reason for this is that trucks have a less stringent emissions requirement than cars for the same model year.

Of course, the O.P.'s fundamental problem will be finding a 302 Windsor motor that is emissions certified for light trucks for the 2003 model year. They don't exist, as Ford stopped installing them several years prior to 2003. This may be moot, since the O.P. hasn't told us where he lives, but you CANNOT legally install a 302 into a 2003 Ranger and pass a state emissions test.

Now, interestingly, you CAN legally install a 350 HP EcoBoost V6, or a 550 HP supercharged 5.4 liter out of a Ford GT, or even a 5.0 liter Ford Coyote for 412 or so HP, but you can't install a 302 Windsor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.