Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Changing to an auto from manual in 57 Chev
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2001, 08:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down Changing to an auto from manual in 57 Chev

I am changing the original 3 speed trans to an automatic in a 57 Chevy. The car has the original gear shift on the column and has about a 74 Chev 350 engine on the original 57 Chev pin motor mounts. I will be changing out the column for the auto trans and Danchuck has provided me with all the parts such as mounting brackets and crossmember that I think I will need. I also have spoken with several people on and off line about what I will need. What I don't know is where to begin. This is my first time for doing something like this and I want to get it right the first time. I need to know things such as are there any holes in the frame where the crossmember bolts on or will I have to drill? The trans is a 350 turbo. I know I will need a flexplate but what kind? What should I torque the bolts at????? How should the starter be spaced from the flexplate and when do I know its just right? I am pretty sure I have all the parts needed, I just need some direction in installing the new trans and what I should expect. I appreciate any help. Thanks!