changing the color of my interior - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Rooster

Wiki Edits: 0

changing the color of my interior

I would like to change the color of my interior from dark blue to tan. the carpet and seats won't be a problem since they will be replaced, but the rest of my interior is in perfect shape. I seen a product that you spray on to change the color; it sounds like paint to me but it's called interior dye. has anyone used it, and is it any good? I would hate to ruine my interior by painting it with some crappy product. maybe an upholstery shop is the way to go?? what do ya'all think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2003, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

Ive never used this but ive saw interiors that have been done with this. IMO they looked great, just like new.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

I used some of the dye spray that they sell at like auto zone and checker. It almost actually made me wounder how this stuff sticks so good. It works really good i used it on my 1972 ford pinto seats changed them from tan to white. Ill get them upholsterd in time but till then, im using the spray. THe stuff is kinda dull though. The color does come up in time but nothing that a little touch up cant handle. Sup 2 u
Old 06-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Rooster

thanks for the info guys; I'm gonna give it a try.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:36 AM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Hey BWG! Before you go and spray the whole interior of your car, I would suggest trying this product out on an area that's not really visible, just in case you don't get the results you're looking for.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:24 AM
banned

Tell us how it goes too. I'm considering spraying my now saddle tan (UCK!!!) Carpet BLACK (YEAH). I'm also gunna either get some plastic dye or make a swap for black plastic interior panels. I need a new headliner anyway so I'll just buy that. But I wanna hear how it goes.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:14 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

they sell this at the local body shop just like car paint, you buy the paint and reducer and also a cleaner.I was told this was an excellent product for the hard plastic panels like console, lower dash, any hard surface. not really great for say , the soft vinyl side of the seats etc.i am almost ready to (paint) the interior soon. i really dont have a choice , as i am going from gold with tan interior to black ext, white leather seats,and new black carpets, i am dying the console and lower dash white , and from the top of the dash up in black.
i will be verry verrrry interested to see how it works.
thanks for your time mike .
Old 07-03-2003, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

The only problem with a black interior is that it seems to fade a lot faster than any other colour (well, maybe Navy fades as fast). I had a black interior in my '74 duster, and even after replacing the seats the backs faded within one season. Of course, I had no garage to keep it in, so it was constantly exposed to sunlight. Also, the inside of the car becomes very oven-like, because as we all know, black absorbs heat, it doesn't reflect it like white does.

Just my .02

Chickie
Old 07-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Rooster

Mikeweyman, I did try that product you mentioned, or a least a similar product. It looked extremely good but after a few years it started to peal on the hard plastic parts. it's only on one door panel that I never could find a match for, but every couple of years I have to touch up the hard plastic bottom panel on the door. the vinyl still looks perfect. I am going to try the interior dye product, first on my grocery getter, and if results are good I will go ahead with my vette. thanks ya'll and I will let you know of the results.

btw, 4 jaw chick???? did I see that right??? are you 4 jaw chuck's chick? (what a mouthful) how lucky to have a grease lady
Old 07-04-2003, 03:38 AM

Last photo:

hey bigwildgrin ,i also plan on putting it on my vette (1975) i really dont have a choice because i cant leave the interior beige ,and the car has already bled my wallet dry.so for at least now,it will be sprayed.what year vette do you have???dont ya love em??
Old 07-05-2003, 09:51 AM

i just sprayed a 1971 camaro dash with "interior color" spray available at local auto parts for $4.00 a can. i cleaned 30+ years of gummy crud off with 409 type cleaner then sprayed 2 careful coats of black. brand new look and very easy to touch up. a new dash pad lists for $339.00...
Old 07-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Rooster

hey Mike, it's a '68. yes I do love them; the older ones are worth more but I prefer the "shark" body style to them all. I hate to say it but I think the '84 is my favorite of all time- big bold sexy curves with that beautiful bubble back window. I almost bought one once that was absolutely breath taking for 10 grand. I wish I would have. now I don't have the 10 grand or the car....
Old 07-05-2003, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

my friend just bought an 82 .it has a mural done by a local artist who became a local favorite during the van era.believe it or not he drove it off the car lot for 5,000 .all the things you like about that car, i hate.the reason i picked mine (yours is better, chrome bumpers)is the smooth sloping front and rear end. and the little flat opera window with the fins on either side.the eighties are near worthless, the ones like ours are rarer and worth triple the money. i hope so cause i spent 15,000$ on mine and its not painted, no windshield , engine is done well but not started yet.man i wish vettes werent so expensive. dut then i wouldnt like them. lol..... mike
Old 07-06-2003, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

That would be me, Chuck's Chick.
BTW I like Vette's but I'm kinda stuck on the late 60's models, very classy! Like me :p

Chickie
Old 07-07-2003, 04:46 AM
banned

4 jaw chick, I've got a garage plus I'm tinting the windows on my car, that should save on the fading a bit.

Hehe I'm planning on trying to cover my seats by myself in leather (I know someone with an industrial sewing machine)

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.