changing dash lights to LEDs need some help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

changing dash lights to LEDs need some help

hey folks,
Want to change the dash lights i have to LEDs I know i need a resistor if i want to hook up one to 12 volts.

The question i have is will it hurt me to use the resistors on all of them weather it is hooked up in series or not?

I plan to change all of the dash lights i have in my Monte Carlo over to a LED . instead of the 194 bulbs , Also the switch lights that look like a LED but are the wrong color for the rest of the dash lights.

I know you can wire LEDS in series directly in to 12 volt and each one will lower the voltage so it wont blow them in you have i think it is 4 in line with each other. but im looking at wiring like 4-6 of them in line with each other with a 12 volt hook up. i have to solder the resistors on them to do this so if i can put one on each it would be easier to just do all of them instead of trying to get some with and some with out.

but will it drop the voltage o much?

hope that makes sens to someone else besides me Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 02:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1031
hey folks,
Want to change the dash lights i have to LEDs I know i need a resistor if i want to hook up one to 12 volts.

The question i have is will it hurt me to use the resistors on all of them weather it is hooked up in series or not?

I plan to change all of the dash lights i have in my Monte Carlo over to a LED . instead of the 194 bulbs , Also the switch lights that look like a LED but are the wrong color for the rest of the dash lights.

I know you can wire LEDS in series directly in to 12 volt and each one will lower the voltage so it wont blow them in you have i think it is 4 in line with each other. but im looking at wiring like 4-6 of them in line with each other with a 12 volt hook up. i have to solder the resistors on them to do this so if i can put one on each it would be easier to just do all of them instead of trying to get some with and some with out.

but will it drop the voltage o much?

hope that makes sens to someone else besides me Thanks
Doc here,

Each LED is a diode..it has voltage drops as it forward biases.That value will be marked on the package..while it is small for each, it will become additive.. You can series/Parallel them to a point (resistors or not..) where the total voltage drop exceeds the voltage required to make the string run..

EXAMPLE IN LAMPS:
If you take 2 six volt lamps and run them in series, at 12 volts they will light fine..add a third and they barely glow, add a fourth and None of them work..LED's operate much the same way...Also in LEDs as in lamps wired in this config..If lose one, You lose them all..

A better Shot is, They Make a SUPER BRIGHT LED (Rat Shack, $2.99 each) that is about 1/4 inch in diameter (maybe smaller..)that will run on 12 volts exclusively..no resistance required..

Use those and wire them in Parallel from your dimmer circuit..and it will work fine..

And if nothing else is on that line, (other incandescent lamps) don"t forget to lower the fuse to something like 7/10 ths of an amp..

Doc
Old 10-17-2005, 05:21 AM

kool thanks Doc!!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 06:05 AM
Last photo:

You can buy various colored 12v LED bulbs from several sources. I bought mine from either Mouser.com electronics or digikey.com They have a much better selection that Radio Shak.

Vince
Old 10-18-2005, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Another option is to just pick-up some direct replacement plug-in LED's.
These guys have it all.....http://www.ledtronics.com/

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.