changing distributor to magnetic pick up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2004, 06:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

changing distributor to magnetic pick up

My son has an 86 dodge GLH non turbo 2.2. All emissions and the computer have been removed and we added a MSD and new coil, but were told the MSD would not connect to the distributor unless it was converted to a magnetic pickup. I have the pickup with black, red, and aluminum wires coming from it.

My questions are; how do I connect those wires to the green and purple wires from the MSD, and how critical is the positioning of the magnetic pickup, should it be horizontal across from the rotor, and should it be adjustable to set timing?

My knowledge is limited on the internal working of the distributor.

Thanks for any help!

b bailey

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

MSD has a web site with all thier instruction free for download. Bet you can find out how there.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:57 PM

I have contacted MSD and they were not very helpful. I am pretty sure of what I need to do beween the MSD and the distributor. My issue is how to corectly modify the distributor to a magnetic pickup.

thank you for your help
Old 05-03-2004, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

What kind of pickup does it have now?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:29 AM

Not sure how to spell it, it is a Hal Effect. It sits under the base of the cap and looks like (for lack of a better term) a space ship with a magnetized pickup and three wires, red, green, and black.

What was explained to me was the MSD would not recieve a signal from this type of pickup and it need to be converted.

A friend of mine got a magnetic pickup (3/8" diameter 1 1/2" long with black and red wires) from a chrysler race engine company that the guy said to build a bracket and drill a hole thru the side of the cap to line it up were the old pickup was.

THe missing details have me concerned as to how this is really going to work. My biggest concerns are proper location of pickup and loss of weatherability/driveability with a hole in the cap.

I think once I understand better the functionality of all the components within the distributor that will help.

Sounds like I have a real mess?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Sorry I took a while to get back. I keep forgeting to look into the advanced rodding section. The Hall effect sensor set up is far superior than a magnetic pickup because it gives a very stable and sharp signal at high RPM. The magnetic type's signal tends tp flatten out and eventually becomes unreadable at high RPM. Some MSD control units hook up to points ignition system where the points just give a grounded signal. The module that's connected to the Hall effect sensor does just that- grounds the coil to earth. Maybe u should send the unit back and get one that works for points and just connect the wire going to the coil negative to the MSD unit and connect the MSD unit to the coil. I'm curious to see how u go because I've just fitted a Hall effect sensor setup on my SBC - cost me $11 in used parts lol and works a treat.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You should be able to hook up a common ignition module to the hall sensor and then run the output of the module to the MSD. Then MSD to distributor. If you do a google for hall sensor ignition module, I bet you can come up with a part number. The Hall is much better and can definately be used in conjunction with an amplifier(ignition module).

Chris
Old 05-10-2004, 08:23 PM

thank you for all your help. I will try to locate an ignition module so I can use the Hall effect pickup.

Thank you again.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.