changing engine wiring harness, ran into a lil problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 01:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

changing engine wiring harness, ran into a lil problem

im changing the whole wiring harness on my 91 dodge dynasty 3.3l v6. went to wrecking yard found a 3.3l v6 engine inside a 92 chrysler 5th ave. checked it out everything looked okay. pulled it took it home started installing it and everything was matching up perfect. then a got to a connector right behind the drivers side head light. the new harness doesnt have that one connection. i then looked on the 60 pin connectors that plug into the computer and the part numbers were one number off.(i should have checked in the first place, live and learn)

my question is this:
im guessing i got the wrong harness or can i somehow make it work for me?

also the pattern, in which the wires enter the harness, is a little different. i did get the wrong one right. it was the only complete wire harness in the whole yard too. guess i should return it.

OR

should i go back and get the two computers from where the new harness came from and swap them with the ones currently in my dodge now?

any help would be appreciated thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Before you undo it..

Doc here,

Before you undo all your hard labor...get a manual for the 5 th ave, harness, and run down exactly what that plug is required to do..

You just might luck out and it may be an option not used in the Dynasty and have nothing to do at all with the operating system, like moisture detectors for the wipers or headlight wipers.

If your 99.99% sure the rest is all good..I'd do that

You don't have any left over electrical components, right?

The extra manual will only set you back $25 bucks, or you may be able to Photocopy it for free at the library.

Determine what it is BEFORE you tear it all out.

Doc
Old 05-31-2005, 05:34 AM

maybe i didnt explain it correctly, but the new harness from the 5TH AVE is missing one connector that the old DYNASTY harness has. so now there will be an open connector on the left inside front fender of the DYNASTY. sorry if i wasnt clear on that. also about the two 60 pin connectors. the pattern in which the wires enter the connector are different(example: pins 1, 2, 3, and 10, 11, 15, 16, 17 of DYNASTY connector have wires and the 5TH AVE. connector have wires in different pin positions like pins 5, 6, 7, and 12, 13, 14, 19, 20)

should i go and get the computers from the 5TH AVE and use them in the DYNASTY. since the the harness im puting in the DYNAS was connected to the 5th AVE computers.

i sure hope this is making sense. thanx in advance for your knowledge and information
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 AM
GothRod87

yea id say if it is the computers that are holding you upo then just do that..the simple thing to do in this istuation...how high was the milage on the fith ave.?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Computer swap

Doc here,

The computer may be totally compatible to the harness...but may not Play with your engine...You need to check before you just swap it out..else your in for more headaches than you signed up for...

My recommendation, at this point...Get THE right harness for your computer and engine.Then it's just plug and prey....

Always whenever possible keep the computer with the engine it was born with.

Doc
Old 05-31-2005, 01:28 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

couldnt you switch around the wires in the connectors in to the proper position and add the extra wire? seems like the easiest solution(unless you can find the proper harness) to me unless i'm missing something
Old 05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

rewire Harness

Doc here,

In order to rewire the harness properly, you'd need the schematic, follow up with color codes, and continuity test each wire at both the computer and destination end.

Any discrepancy's would have to be changed and noted...It would also involve a pin removal and insertion tool, and extra pins, (because you know some will get broken in the change) and you run the risk unless your very careful of damaging the harness plugs inserting and extracting pins for the new configuration.

Then Each wire MUST be continuity Checked end to end, to assure proper location and destination, or you run the risk of mis wire and possible inop system, or worse conditions...(like burning up the sensors, computer, or the harness itself)

It could very well be done, and I have done this before, on Scratch harness's I have built..but compared to getting and installing the right harness, It is a MAJOR pain in the ***...

I've said this a hundred times before on Engine swaps on Computerized Vehicles...

ALWAYS take the Vehicle harness, Computer and sensors from the donor car, (including things like VATS systems, BCM's, even anti theft Stuff..)

This way you can either wire around the stuff you don't need, or install it, and make it redundant..(let the computer THINK it's working but all it's doing is taking up space in the trunk.)

Grafting a harness in this fashion, usually requires no more than Power, ground, memory, any body attachments, and physically running the new graft.

Unless, you have done this several times before, I'd advise against it...you gain an equal amount of knowledge to get your EE in experience alone just trying to figure it all out...and it's not a job for a beginner...However, If you have a large bench, 12 volt, 3 amp fused bench supply, good schematics, pins and insertion / extraction tools..and a sense of adventure...and are NOT in a hurry to get the car on the road..you'll gain lots of experience doing it!

Doc
Old 06-01-2005, 02:18 AM

im just gonna go back and hopefully i can find one that no one has cut to shreds. if not wheres a good plACE to order one at a good price. again thanks a lot guys for all your input and suggestions. ill get back to yall tell how its going.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:03 AM

i went to the wrecking yard and couldn't find the right harness. there were some, but some idiot just cut up some of the wires. my question is this:

can you tell me any other cars which will have the same harness. i know mini vans have the same engine but will the wire harness be different cause the way the mini van is set up(maybe wire lenghth is shorter or something) if you can help me please reply thanx

also i forgot name of site who sell harnesses?
Old 06-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Harness

Doc here,

Your Best shot at the right harness is this,

Go back to the wrecking yard, with the number from the correct original (Computer to engine harness) There should be a paper tag on the harness with a bar code.

Have them enter that number into their computer system hot line, This will go to wrecking yards nation wide...Someone out there should have one.

You'll have to pay labor and Ship on it though.

Here is the Site For Painless harnesses, you can order a universal Harness and Computer for your Engine through them, but it's more a Little more work to adapt it to play than just a standard plug and play, But easy enough to do.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...erfectharn.htm

A Third option, and may be the best, is get one of those harness that are "cut" up, but correct, select the one with the least damage, and repair it, with replacement wire and / or plugs whatever would be required to make it whole again.(you may have those plugs on the wrong harness too, so you might be able to get away with just grafting the pieces) So long as your schematics are accurate, you should be able to do it.

Doc

PS: If you totally strike out..and don't know what to do, as a VERY last resort,...PM me..

If your NOT in any kind of a hurry for it, Send me both Harness's, The Correct Schematic for the Computer and engine, and enough to cover pins, plugs, harness hardware and extra wire with it, and as a spare time project ONLY I will do it for you..AS a VERY last resort...Shouldn't be much of a problem, I'm in Lafayette/Orinda area, If your in the Bay Area, were at most 50 miles apart...

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 06-02-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added thought...

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.