Changing front suspension. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 12:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Changing front suspension.

In my 84 Z28, i think im going to replace my whole front suspension. Its amazing when i went out there to look at it, how many things i saw that were wrong, now that i do suspension work everyday and are a certified alignment technician. The parts are VERY hard to remove due to rust, ect ect. Should i cut them off? Like my outter tie rod end, i could just sawzall those, and then my strut, i could cut as well. What would you all do?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 01:33 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

If it were me i would figure my budget and find the parts that i would be replacing the stock stuff with. That way you know what does have to be reconditioned and what can be cut off, so look for a kit that will have new bushings control arms tie rods and so on.............

but if the part is no good then I guess it must be cut off anyways
Old 04-11-2004, 03:29 PM

cutting off struts???

you said you are a certified alignment tech??? do you work for tires plus??? you can use a torch but not to cut odd parts use it to heat up the parts so you can loosen the nuts and bolts that hold tha parts together!!! seriously though where do you work???
I thought we were red necking it a little using a torch to heat up a pitman arm at the race track where we do rpoundy round racing so we could swap out a power stearing unit. but using a a sawzall to cut off tie rod ends is stupid cause you still have to get the rest of it out. now that you work for a shop you should be able to get parts dirt cheap through work heck i can get ball joints for most older chevs for $9.10 a piece and upper control arm bushings for like $5 a piece do it that way and replace what all you need. don't hack it out
Jesse
Old 04-11-2004, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

I work at a place called TCI tire and appliciances. (spelling on last word LOL).
I would never torch it out, but i was thinking sawzall.

Im not going to do this at work, im gonna do this stuff at home, i dont have as much stuff at here that i do at work. Thats why i was thinking of cutting it off here and taking it at work and use my stuff or my buddies....not sure if mine would do it, to take off old parts and put on new ones. Im gonna keep the spindle, new calipers/rotors/bearings and stuff to.
I might heat them to get them off, i dont know yet.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:28 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

If the tie rods don't wanna turn loose from the adjusting sleeves, you can completely remove the pinch bolts/clamps and use a chisel to spread the sleeves. Don't get too carried away doing this, just far enough to free things up with a little lubricant. You're probably changing tie rod ends anyhow, so give'em a good whack with a decent sized hammer, that'll break 'em loose...usually.

Doing it properly is actually going to be faster in the long run than just cutting. Even if you bought all new everything, you'll still have to seperate them joints.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

True. Here is another question, im going to keep my spidle assembly, what can i use to clean up the rust on this? What can i undercoat most of it when im done?

What could i do to make it easier to pull the front wheels off the ground anyways? Just curious is all
Old 04-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Take it all apart.....It looks rustier than it really is. Clean it all up with a wire wheel and paint with Tremclad......simple.

Get an alignment when you are done.........While you are waiting for the alignment, grab a dictionary....your spelling is atrocious.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by poncho62
Take it all apart.....It looks rustier than it really is. Clean it all up with a wire wheel and paint with Tremclad......simple.

Get an alignment when you are done.........While you are waiting for the alignment, grab a dictionary....your spelling is atrocious.
The only time i would wait on during the alignment is when im setting the rack level to swing caster LOL.

Sorry i missed like 3 words
hehe

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.