Changing GM Alternators - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 10:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Changing GM Alternators

Now that the 671 is installed I need a smaller alternator.....no space. Can I use one off my 94 cavalier???? If so how do I hook up the connectors???????? Any help would be appreciated............

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 AM

Last photo:

they have brackets you can use to hook the alt down off the crank pulley.also once in HOTROD magazine many moons ago there was a how to for hooking the alt. down near the drive shaft and running it off that, but i can't see that working when the car stops moving. Maybe an eletric motor form like an eletric water pump set up, that might turn the atl fast enuff.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

basic preface:
90%+? of all alt's work the same, just the "packaging" changes to attain a given amps output based on the rotor and armature demensions and windings

so yes you can use the Cav ("SI" model?) alt but do be aware that many of the imports alt's are even way smaller with more amps capability....

what you must check carefully for is that the alt pulley diameter's are exactly the same or swap the pulleys....
the basic reason is that most alt's are set up roughly in a 3/1 alt pulley rev's ratio to the crank pulley rev's so that 5,000 motor rpms is 15,000 alt rpms.....
it only takes a wee bit smaller alt pulley to raise that speed to 18,000 alt rpms at 5,000!!!!!
and if the alt pulley diameter is to big it won't spin fast enough to put out enough amps at idle rpms (alt amps output does ramp up with rpms)

for future reference:
there are tons of excellent spec's and diagrams and details on the Autozone site....
here's the illustration and diagram for the Cav alt:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

pretty likely that who ever sold you the blower has a alt mount bracket for that model blower and your specific (????) motor

post more details and likely someone can answer with a best possible bracket/alt/blower/pulley choice combo
Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Dave's hot Rod Shop

If you buy and after market CS case stlye, it is small and only takes one wire to run.
Dave
Dave's Hot Rod Shop KC Mo
Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 AM

It would help to have more detail on what you have.

If you are replacing a GM SI series alternator (with a BAT connection and two-wire plug), there are a lot of options, but probably none of them have a much smaller case. The newer GM alternators (CS series, etc.) are physically smaller, and there are plugs to adapt to SI wiring. Some of the imports (Nippondenso, etc.) do have smaller cases, but probably do not mount the same.

Bruce
Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

binder,
do confirm that the (very wow) truck in your picture gallery is the motor in question....

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh...p?ppuser=10956

way to often on this board that's not the case,,,,the question is asked actually for some totally different other vehicle project....
Old 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Changing GM Alternators

Thanks to all of you for your input! thats my motor....1969 427 with LS6 square port heads. Had been running a made in USA chrome alt. with a deep grove pulley. Now I have to move it back farther to line up with the pulley on the crank & there lies the problem!!!!!!!!! I here Denco alts from Super Coupes are smaller. A buddies gonna check for depth. Will post pics as I go along....Marty

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.