changing manual steering to power on 63 Chevy II - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

changing manual steering to power on 63 Chevy II

Last nite I Bought a 63 Chevy II 2dr and a 65 Nova 4dr, $400 for the pair, i am thinking the 4rd runs, and it's in real nice shape, i was thinking unbolting the front clip and subframe on 65 and putting under the 63. the 63 is still 4 lug wheels, the 65 is 5 lug plans with the 2dr are a sbc and a turbo 350. maybe 300 350hp, i pick them up Monday and will post pics. i will know more when i get them home, the 2dr front clip might be ok, i know the RH front fender is in the car. the interior of the 2dr is mostly gutted. maybe if the front clip is good on the 2dr then i might put a mustang II IFS under it, and drive the 4dr (i've heard a bunch of bad stuff about the mustang II IFS and kinda want to stay away from it) i guess time will tell. I would like to upgrade the brakes and suspension. Where do I find parts for this ? Or is there another way? i could try and find a used disc setup, but i found this and price is fair i think, or am i wrong ? DISC BRAKE Setup that would go on the 65 5 lug spindles http://nnnova.com/discbrakes.html. what would i need to put power steering on it ? besides master cylinder and the booster and a proportioning valve ? all ideas welcome, new or used out of salvage yard ect. i'm kinda looking for a bolt on setup, maybe some bracket fabricating or something i can do myself. i read this on steering boxs http://nnnova.com/steering boxes.html

i would like disc in the rear but may end up drum setup

my sons 13 and gung ho. i'm wanting narrow front wheels 3 1/2"and jacked up in the rear with big tires kinda late 60s 70s look. and not sure on rear end set up,yet

Thanks Everyone

Mustangsaly

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Try this guy

Try this guy as there might be something there for you..there is now a movement to use 70-81 camaro or 77-88 caprice impala spindles as these allow for 11-12' disk brakes using over the counter parts..Saves a bunch of cash as one does not need to go aftermarket for good brakes..

Try here Might be just what you are looking for..

OMT
Old 07-16-2005, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

thanks, so the 77 to 88 caprice disc and P/S setup will fit ? do i need the do i need the steering column too ? keep it coming.

Mustangsaly
Old 07-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

What I said

I was directing you to a website for a builder of chassis who builds a crossmember that uses the chev big car spindles..looks similar to an aftermarket MII setup..When using the later model chev big car spindles they are already setup for disks and the rotors and calipers are OTC parts..

You will need to get the aftermarket crossmember tho to make this kind of install..

Of course you can use the Nova front chassis section provided that it fits properly under your car..I woudl not know that without actually measuring the 2 cars..

Sometimes it is best to just bite the bullet and get a proper part that fits..much easier that way..

The existing column will work just fine..you can either go with the rack and pinion from Jim Meyer or you can opt for a power saginaw box and pump from www.borgeson.com

OMT

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 07-16-2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: More stuff
Old 07-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

well i haven't been under the cars yet butt, i would like to put the front subframe outa the 65 under the 63 and put disc brakes and adapt power steering to what i have. your idea is my backup plan "Sometimes it is best to just bite the bullet and get a proper part that fits..much easier that way"

if i go with this disc braske set what P/S unit will fit ?http://nnnova.com/discbrakes.html

but I would like to avoid the aftermarket mustang II front ends

Mustangsaly

Last edited by Mustangsaly; 07-17-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

power steering

I believe those used Saginaw steering box..and power steering was a factory option so the steering box and pump should be a junkyard piece..

Only cause I have for concern is that there was a body change between 63 and 65 so the nova clip may be too wide for the 63..just have to measure and see about that tho..

OMT
Old 07-17-2005, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

OMT,

you might be right but i thought i read 62 to 65 was interchangeable. the front clip (hood fenders grill) are better on the 65 4dr. i was kinda hoping to unbolt the subframe and front clip in one piece and roll under 63.

any one know for sure ?

i drag em home tomorrow

Mustangsaly
Old 07-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

One thing for sure

You are going to be the guy who knows for sure on this swap..

Since I am the measure twice cut once kinda guy I am I do my own measuring to see if what I have in mind will work...Sometimes it do sometimes it does not..

OMT
Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

man i hope theres some kinda power steering or power steering rack & piion that will be a good swap, this is what flaming river said, We hope to have a bolt in manual rack&pinion kit available soon,however, there are not any plans for a power version of the kits at this time,as the manual kits are still in the last stages of development. Pricing for the manual kits will be
$1,190.00, and this includes a tilt steering column. The kits will fit Novas' from the '62-'67 model years.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

The '63 & '65 subframes are basically the same thing, but I believe there are subtle differences. Might check out http://stevesnovasite.com/forums & find out for sure.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.