changing my 350's 305 heads to 64cc darts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

changing my 350's 305 heads to 64cc darts

hey guys I have a 1986 chevy 350 with 305 heads

the heads that are on it are 75'-79' (60cc) 305 heads which obviously bump up the compression ratio quite a bit. the problem is the small valves 1.2/1.5
it runs pretty good; but i think darts will be a good upgrade. (bigger valves and more flow)

the darts are 64cc's; so at least i do not know compression ratio will be a problem; as this will obviously lower the compression ratio.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/D...tinfo/D1864AA/

one issue is that I do not know what kind of pistons are in the car. But lowering the compression ratio should not be an issue right? is it an issue that compressio ratio might be too low? I do not know what type of pistons are in the engine as I did not build it.

Also how do I know what size pushrods I would need with the dart heads? anything else I need to check? I'm especially concerned about valvetrain geometry in this head swap. Please help me out. I'm trying to think this one out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

Best guess w/64cc Heads, 9-9.5Cr "Unknown pistons"
Most aftermarket heads recommend +.100" longer pushrods, stock is 7.800". You can get an adjustable Pushrod length checker to calculate proper length.
http://www.chevytech.com/3c10o19.html
http://www.chevytech.com/3c10o15.html
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you, but do have a question. I have a 1979 Camaro w/a 305 w/those factory heads. I am putting in a 350 out of a 82 van in and am considering putting the 305 heads on it. How does yours run? Is basically all stock? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

you would be far better off just buying a set of vortecs, or a set of RHS vortec style 170cc torkers, you will make a buch more hp with these heads, the old iron eagle heads dont flow very well IMHO, a stock set of vortecs out flows the 180cc iron eagle heads.

as for the question about putting 305 heads on a 350 DONT DO IT!!, unless they are the mid to late 80's 305HO 4416 heads they wont help you at all, the higher compression ratio wont be worth it, that motor will bogg down by 4000rpm. i would advise you to do the same thing, to get a set of vortecs whether stock or aftermarket

70's and 80's 305 heads had max flow numbers around 180-190cfm, they are nothing but a complete waste of metal IMHO
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
you would be far better off just buying a set of vortecs, or a set of RHS vortec style 170cc torkers, you will make a buch more hp with these heads, the old iron eagle heads dont flow very well IMHO, a stock set of vortecs out flows the 180cc iron eagle heads.

as for the question about putting 305 heads on a 350 DONT DO IT!!, unless they are the mid to late 80's 305HO 4416 heads they wont help you at all, the higher compression ratio wont be worth it, that motor will bogg down by 4000rpm. i would advise you to do the same thing, to get a set of vortecs whether stock or aftermarket

70's and 80's 305 heads had max flow numbers around 180-190cfm, they are nothing but a complete waste of metal IMHO
Thanks for the advise, but I was going to put those heads on as a minor increase over the stock 882's and I already have them so they are free.

It seems to original poster had good luck w/them and I was just wanting some feedback on his set up.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Those heads will work out nicely. And make a big improvement over those 305 heads.

Those heads should be able to use the stock valve train stuff. However, the push rod guides may be setup for thicker rods. (3/8 versus 5/16)??

My dart 200cc heads needed head bolts a little longer than stock (I think). Not sure about the 180's. Check darts website for install instructions.

yes, vortec head are good. but require lots of other parts and some machine work to use them. Vortec heads require a vortec intake, vortec rocker arms, vortec valve covers, and some machine work to the heads to run over 0.450 lift. The darts are a better deal if you already have these items.

The dart 180's flow about the same as the vortecs on the intake port and much better than the vortecs on the exhaust port. darts are better heads out of the box. Plus the darts have thicker castings and are much less prone to crack.

what cam, gear, and stall are you using now?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevs79
Thanks for the advise, but I was going to put those heads on as a minor increase over the stock 882's and I already have them so they are free.

It seems to original poster had good luck w/them and I was just wanting some feedback on his set up.
If you're currently running 882's I'd take the 305 heads apart, clean up the bowls reassemble them and run them.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Agree with 454C10 on all points - go on Dart's website and browse to the head, you can open a pdf spec sheet of it that will give you recommendations on head bolts, spark plugs, etc...

Going from 60's to 64cc chambers you are only looking at losing 1/2 a point static compression - if you pull your engine down and the block hasn't been decked you may be able to make all of that back up with a shim gasket, and improve quench in the process, but do your measurements before buying parts.

Other thing to think about is what you'll need for valvesprings and buy accordingly.

Oh! One other quick thought - not sure what your exhaust system is like, but sparkplug placement may or may not be an issue for you. On the stock GM style manifolds the straight plug Darts seem to get awfully close to the log part. At least they did on a set of 200's I had at one point, not sure how the 180 placement is.

Push rods will probably be in the +.100 range, but like others have already said, mock up and check first.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.