Hot Rod Forum banner

Changing out Ford 9 inch Gears

41K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  eloc431962 
#1 ·
Question again for you guys. I have a Ford 9 inch third member that currently has 3.25 gears in it. Having never done a gear swap on a 9 inch before, are there any issues with putting in a set of 4.30's in the same carrier and housing? They should just swap out correct?

I am putting the 3rd member into a different 9 inch housing then the original one it was in (so it will be the housing and axels from one 9 inch and the 3rd member from a second 9 inch being melded together). They are 28 spline axels and they slide right into the third member that I am going to use if you need to know that. Thanks.

#8 ·
One other thing. 430 and 456's are the ratio's that the inside of the ring gear hit's the pocket Brg. When shopping,ask the supplier if the ring gear has the cut to clear the pocket brg with lower ratio's. All the Richmond sets usually have it. I've had quite a few Precision set's also. If you have to clearance the pocket only take as much as you have to.That's one of the places that diff likes to break.

#11 · (Edited)
"Way back", I bought a new 1965 Ford 500XL HiPo (390/330) with 4.11 posi gears. It showed up with 3.25's. The dealer had to change them out - and he had to replace the spool as well as the gears - I watched the process. I would make absolutely that you didn't need a different spool as well - and I for sure am not the expert

#13 ·
Thanks guys very much for all of the responses. These are the two sets that I am looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0358774685&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0370827377&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Prostreet6t9-

Is the cut you are referring the 45 degree cut on the back side of the ring gear on the first set that I listed? I don't see the same cut on the second set. Will either of these work? That is the first I had heard that about the 4.30 or 4.56 gears not clearing that bearing.

Thanks again.

#16 ·
Why buy used (problems?) when Summit has a set of 4.33's for $160 + $12 shipping or another set for $206 or a third for $266 - all Richmond's. No clue without spending more time with the specs what the differences are, but a used R&P plus the bearings and seals plus labor for something that might have been flogged - hard - just isn't worth the aggravation. I can understand trying to save a few bucks, but not in the engine/driveline where you need as much reliability as you can get. And 50-100 bucks - not worth the possible grief and pain to suffer someone elses problems.

OK - now I'll put my soapbox away and watch the NA$CAR Nationwide race :D

Dave W

#17 ·
Thanx much prostreet. I will bid on the second set then. I also found a Timken rebuild kit on ebay for about $80. So those gears and that rebuild kit and I should be on my way (need axle bearings as well).

I really appreaciate all of your help on this (and every other question you have answered on here for me).

#21 ·
Used gears=bad new us gear is available for around $112.00 off ebay good gears.With used if you don't get everything set exactly as it was ran you will have problems.It's like putting used lifters on a cam.The gears are already mated together and being off a little can cause issues.

#23 ·
barnym17 said:
Used gears=bad new us gear is available for around $112.00 off ebay good gears.With used if you don't get everything set exactly as it was ran you will have problems.It's like putting used lifters on a cam.The gears are already mated together and being off a little can cause issues.
Its actually pretty easy to set up a used gear set. and its not like using used lifters. I dont see and 430 ratio's for that price,but that would be a good deal if there was.

#25 ·
barnym17 said:
Look under imca in ebay they are common ratios available into the 7 range.When you set up used gears do you adjust the depth by matching the wear pattern?I've just never had any luck with used gears.
You still read the pattern the same,you just won't get that perfect swipe in the pattern. If the drive is high and the coast is low or visa versa,you would do a pinion depth change and adjust backlash as needed. Normally If you get the pattern centered on the coast and drive without running off the edges you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.