Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Changing pan gasket on 350 chevy
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 08:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

malc, Do not have to drag the gasket THROUGH pan and under the pump sump. Simply bring it all up UNDER the pan and then slip it over the lip first on one end and then on the other and the sides with it. For a test,if you will take a one piece and lay it on a flat surface, and flatten out the end (curved) pieces, you will see that it is wide enough to slip over the sides of a pan one side at a time. I am told this by a grizzly old shade tree mechanic that works at a local NAPA, who says he has done this. However, since I am not a witness I would have to make a test run first with a borrowed oil pan and the gasket(which I have). For the time being I am sitting on it since the leak is very small and seems to be from the pan as the oil drips down both the back of the pan and the outside of the flywheel cover to the low point (which happens to be where the drain hole also resides). When I took the cover off, there was no puddled fluid in it, the flywheel was dry, and the bearing seal looked dry.
For now I am happy, since the wiring problems are now solved (see my other thread). Will not bother you guys until need arrises. Thanks all. rap