Changing from standard oil to synthetic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 10:57 PM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Red face Changing from standard oil to synthetic

My daughter has asked me to take over her oil changes on her 2002 Cadillac Escalade. Hey, I started out on flatheads and barely keep my Ford 302s and Chevy 350s oiled and tuned so this new stuff is a bit intimidating opening the hood. She is insisting because she feels she is getting ripped off at the dealer which is another story; $100 for checking muffler bearings, etc.

The dealer is using standard 10w-30 oil. I thought all new cars were using synthetics so this was a surprise to me.

I think she should be running a synthetic like Mobil 1 but I'm still learning about synthetics. So I have a few questions:

1. Can I replace her oil with a synthetic after the car was broken in with a standard oil?
2. Her book warns only 5w-30 or 10w-30 depending on local temperatures; NO 10w-40 or 50s. I suspect the precision clearances would not oil properly with a heavier oil. I plan on 10w-30 here in So. Calif., Comments?
3. I plan to go get a factory filter and I do not think there are any differences here, correct?
4. Comments welcome.

Thx in advance, r

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 11:34 PM
If it rolls, I can wreck it!!!

actually any motor should be broken in with regualr oil. then replaced with synthetic later. get some seafoam from the auto parts store and pour it in the crank case and run it for about 2 min before you change the oil and that will help remove any residual crap. then go with the mobile1 10-30wt.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:31 AM

Last photo:

I recently ( yesterday) converted my newly rebuilt engine to synthetic. My main reason is the longer, much longer, drain intervals that synthetics offer. I know I"ll catch lots of flack on it, but i'm shooting for the suggested 25,000 miles per change on the Amsoil 10W-30. I"m also going to convert my wifes '86 caprice and my '86 truck soon too. I'm also using the Frantz bypass oil filter in conjunction with a good spin on filter.

My personal opinion on synthetics is they are great and long past time for their due recognition. The reason I went with Amsoil is they have done their homework, have years of testing and are NOT connected to any major oil company.
Mobil 1 and Castrol Syn-tec are both petroleum based "synthetics". They basically BS's the govt into letting them claim the "synthetic" name by re-arranging petroleum based oils molecular structure. But it still starts out as crude oil. Plus the fact that the major oil companies will take any opportunity they can to stick it to us at the pumps, as we are seeing right now!

Here is a long thread from a few weeks ago that covers oil filters and synthetic oils. Its long, but very interesting.

Mark

Last edited by Jmark; 05-03-2004 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Don't they say 1year or 25k mi?

I don't (and don't want to) drive that many miles in a year (more like 12.5k). I am just about ready to do the same thing myself. From what I have heard you are better off with Amsoil for 25k then any conventional for 3k. It should turn out cheeper in the long run and also take up less of my time.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Just a word of caution. Synthetic oils can generate leaks in and engine that is normally leak free. It works it's way by seals,etc. I know from experience and have had it confirmed by many people in the Superformance Cobra forum. If you are going for the long change intervals, that's one thing, but if you plan normal oil change intervals you will most likely not get any better protection than with a good quality petroleum oil.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:37 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Only some new high performance vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil. The newer motors do not need to be broken in with conventional oils. You should have no problems switching to synthetic.

Mike
Old 05-07-2004, 11:14 AM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

I picked a 6-pack of Mobil-1 10-30 at Costco and will pick up a NAPA Gold oil filter and change my daughter's oil.

Thanks for the responses, r

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.