Hot Rod Forum banner

Changing Steering

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  35terraplane 
#1 ·
Good DAy All...

I have a defective mustang 2 manual rack in my truck and plan to change to power steering.

Is there a difference between a Mustang 2 rack (70's vintage) and a Mustang rack '94 vintage. They look the same, have the same length measurement and will mount the same with off set bushings.

Thanks for your input. Richard

#2 ·
Steering

1brewmaster1 said:
Good DAy All...

I have a defective mustang 2 manual rack in my truck and plan to change to power steering.

Is there a difference between a Mustang 2 rack (70's vintage) and a Mustang rack '94 vintage. They look the same, have the same length measurement and will mount the same with off set bushings.

Thanks for your input. Richard
You didn't say what truck you have, it sounds like something you put a Mustang II front suspension on. I'm not sure about the Mustang racks, but I know that the 87 T-Bird racks, on up are different. If you have a GM pump you don't have to reduce the pressure, that is the rack Speedway sells. You also need to know if you have 2 or 3 mounting bolts.

If you are running a newer Ford pump, with the rack you don't have to worry. I would check with a dealer to make sure if the rack will work with your pump.

Bob

#3 ·
Reply re Changing Rack

Thanks Bob for your response...

Yes it is a modified truck with a Mustang 2 front end. There are two mounting bolts that are 16 center for the manual rack and 15.5 for the power rack. This will require offset bushings to fit the power rack to the cross member. The only difference I can see is that the shaft on the manual rack has splines with a 9/16 shaft. On this power rack it is slightly less then 3/4 and no splines. The DD shaft will have to be modified for fitment. My major concern is the ability for this power rack to do the job with all the weight on the front end. The Mustang 2 systems had V-8 engines that were heavy while in 1994 Mustang everything was much lighter.

#4 ·
Steering

1brewmaster1 said:
Thanks Bob for your response...

Yes it is a modified truck with a Mustang 2 front end. There are two mounting bolts that are 16 center for the manual rack and 15.5 for the power rack. This will require offset bushings to fit the power rack to the cross member. The only difference I can see is that the shaft on the manual rack has splines with a 9/16 shaft. On this power rack it is slightly less then 3/4 and no splines. The DD shaft will have to be modified for fitment. My major concern is the ability for this power rack to do the job with all the weight on the front end. The Mustang 2 systems had V-8 engines that were heavy while in 1994 Mustang everything was much lighter.
I don't think the rack will have any trouble with the weight, as about all you can buy, are the newer ones. you just have to get a u-joint to fit the rack on one end and the DD on the other.

Bob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.