Changing T350 short shaft to long shaft - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 08:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Changing T350 short shaft to long shaft

Well, I'm still trying to find a decent (free) tranny for my first rebuild. I made a short trip to my friends place who had piles of what turned out to be short shaft 350s, problem is I need the 9" tail housing. I can get the 9" housing on eBay for 20 bucks, but what do I need for the shaft? Please remember, as Sgt Shultz would say,,,"I know Noooothing" about auto trannies yet! But want to give one a shot. Thanks..

Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2004, 09:05 PM

Mark,
Everything in front of the tail housing is the same, you just need the long output shaft. If it is your first trans just remember everything came out one way so just put it back the same way. This is a very easy build so relax and have fun.
Scholman
Old 01-16-2004, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Scholman..

I cked on eBay and found a long housing for 16.95 with a new seal and bushing, and he'll sell me the shaft for 15. Its all used but he says is all ok. I"m going to ck a few close tranny shops today and if it pans out, i'll make a trip back to my buddies and pick up a short shaft tranny and go for it!!! Wish me luck.

Mark
Old 01-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Jst remember, That to replace the shaft, all the guts have to come ot of the tranny...............

Budget RVs
Old 01-16-2004, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Well, the tranny is a good core anyway. Its still at my buddies place so it all will be comming apart anyway when I get it home. Should be fun! LOL

I cked at one local tranny shop for the housing and shaft. He had the housing but no shaft. I asked if any of the tranny parts suppliers might have the shaft and he said no. I told him I could get the housing and shaft off eBay for $32 and he said he wouldn't even sell a shaft for that price, says the T350 parts are really scarce? Really? thats news to me, I see em all over the place. Anyway, time to get out the book and start reading.

Thanks for the input.

Mark
Old 01-17-2004, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

Well, got the tranny back here today. Crap, I cannot even get the front pump off! LOL Got out the book and started reading and decided that this project will need some time and maybe even sign up for a rebuilding class at the community college! Me thinks I got in waaaaaaay over my head on this project! Oh well, its not like I have a vehicle down and need it tomorrow.

Mark
Old 01-17-2004, 04:22 PM

Jmark,
Look closely at the front pump. Two of the holes are threaded so you can put in I think 3/8X16 bolts. Put them in and tighten them a little at a time until the gasket gives up and the pump will fall out. You may have to help it along with a few hits with a soft mallet on the front pump. It went together so it has to come apart, don't give up so quickly. Get back there and get busy, it will be fun.
Scholman

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.