Changing a tire on a wooden spoke wheel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 03:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Changing a tire on a wooden spoke wheel

I have a question. I have a 31 Buick with the original wooden spoke wheels...One wheel does not have a tire on it and I can't figure out how to put a tire on...I've taken it to 8 or so shops in town and no one wants to touch it. I have two rings that came with the car...one has the lock and the other does not. The one with the locks is egg shaped so probably won't work. I know they used to changed these things on the side of the road back in the 30's...so what's so difficult about it now? Where would I be able to buy a new ring for this 19 inch wheel?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

A lot of places won't touch those old "Clincher" rims. You might try a truck stop/service. Trucks used to use them and maybe someone will have a "Cage" to change the tire in. When I helped restore a Randolph truck, the wheels had to be sent to Pennsylvania. Look in a Hemmings for service on old wheels.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

wooden rims

Nobody likes to do those 2 piece rims or "suicide" rims any more around here. My boss told me a story that a guy was doing one and he leaned over the rim when the bead popped and the outer ring decapitated him. the shop still has the ring in the ceiling where it hit. I just had to tell my story.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Remember how to change a bike tire?

To install a new tire, you need first to install the rim liner on the rim, then insert the tube inside the tire (put a small amount of air in it to unfold it..)

then Carefully (without cutting or tearing it..) insert the valve stem through the valve stem hole..

Then place the tire and tube all the way down on the rim without turning it much, (ripping the stem) AND seat it by moving it forth and back, only a inch or two while pushing down...

NEXT, install your lock ring..It should go on like a lock washer being flattened out..use a mallet and from the lowest point hammer it around until the ring seats all the way around..

DO NOT TRY AND INFLATE IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Take it to a truck stop,or a tire service that deals with split rims and has an inflation cage..have them inspect your work, and inflate it for you...If that ring slips off under almost full pressure it can decapitate you...

Good Luck!

Doc
Old 10-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
If that ring slips off under almost full pressure it can decapitate you...

Good Luck!

Doc
GM wouldn't be around if they had to do recalls and stuff back then.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:43 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

About 3 years ago, I had one of the old time tire changers for the wooden spoked wheels. It was in remarkable condition with much of the original paint underneath a healthy coating of oil soaked dust and grime. I gave it to a guy that has a auto repair service in the Keys. It presently is on display in his customer waiting area, along with a lot of other vintage tools.

Trees
Old 10-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
GM wouldn't be around if they had to do recalls and stuff back then.
Doc here,

Way back then, I have heard horror stories (but never seen)where the accepted method was to invert the wheel (ring down) and sit on it while inflating the tire...If the ring popped off..you got to take a flying leap..

Doc
Old 10-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
About 3 years ago, I had one of the old time tire changers for the wooden spoked wheels. It was in remarkable condition with much of the original paint underneath a healthy coating of oil soaked dust and grime. I gave it to a guy that has a auto repair service in the Keys. It presently is on display in his customer waiting area, along with a lot of other vintage tools.

Trees
Doc here,

The last one of those I saw was in a Flying "A" station 'round the corner from my house in Alameda Ca, In the early/Mid 60's...

The guy owned the station (or someone in his family) since the red sea parted..AND it's still there today..along with the "Air Bell" and Tokheim Pumps..

Alameda isn't exactly a modern community as opposed to the rest of the bay area ... evidenced by almost nothing but 3 story rambling Victorians throughout the city (like 90% of the housing..)

Great place to live though..an Island, they generate their own power and gas..(avg bill less than 45 bucks mo. for a big "ol Vicki..) own cable and phone services (way cheaper than elsewhere) Pump their own water, (super cheap),

Actually the only drawback is if you die there, you have to go to Oakland to get buried..(water table @5 feet, in Sand..)

Doc
Old 10-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Wish I could attach a video clip to this post. I have an old Amos and Andy movie ("Check and Double Check") in which Andy changes a tire on one of those old wheels. Of course, he manages to step into the tire and he has to somehow hold up the car while he works the tire over his fat belly. Hilarious!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

Great guys! Thanks for all the information and help...one more question though, where would I be able to buy a new ring? The one I have now is egged shaped so I don't think it will work.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.