Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Changing Valve Stem Seals SBC
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
i also used full pressure, if i hadnt, due to the keepers being "locked" on, if i had used any less, i wouldve lost a valve. as it was, even with full pressure, some of the keepers didnt want to let go and took some effort to release.
For the next guy wanting to use the compressor method (the way I do it)- put a large 1/2" drive socket-open end down- over the retainer and with the cylinder exactly at TDC and pressurized, whack the socket w/a large rubber mallet. This will at least separate the retainer from the locks, and if done 'right', will often eject one of the lock halves in the process. It will be caught inside the socket.

Occasionally, if not on TDC, the engine will rotate from the compressor's pressure. Keep hands and tools out of the way of the belts and fan, and for heaven's sake- turn the key to off (better yet, remove it and put the key in your pocket so a 'helper' listening to the radio or something doesn't turn the key to RUN. You wouldn't want to start the thing up by the compressor turning the engine over).

Instead of bumping the engine over w/the key (the easiest way to have the key left ON, BTW), use a breaker bar and socket/extension on the crank bolt to move from cylinder to cylinder.