Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chapter 2 of my storie: When Billy meets a girl
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 05:06 PM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No you need the RPM's higher to pull the wheels off the ground, try maybe 5000-6000. You can also tone the the HP and Torque. You can pull the wheels with 500 HP and less. Squeezing more HP is costly, and might be a little out of reach for the youngin's...you're kinda getting into the strip ranges over 500.

I don't know if you ever rode in a stock '67 GTO pushing a little better than 300HP, but a girlfriend of mine had one and took me for a ride. Whoa! She said for kicks she would take chewing gum and stick a $20 bill on the dash in the middle...told the guys they could keep it if they could grab it while she was accelerating. She might have been BS'n a little, but it sure is hard to move when those babies accelerate! I think she probably scared the mess out of the guys when she got up around 85 in no time flat.

There was another "Vixen" I knew of. The girl was a tall, thin, attractive brunette. I was in a car when my dad ran behind his buddy who was racing her. She had a sleeper '69 Z-28 with a 302 in a partially rusted shell...it didn't look too fast at all. It was one of those white ones with orange stripes...with the rust and all, it looked pretty tacky. I just heard my dad's buddy say, "If you beat me, you can eat me!" Little nubbin' I was, I didn't know what that meant either.

Well dad's buddy in his 350 '68 Camaro was not even a close match, and that guy had a cam and could lift the wheels on his Camaro. They raced on an interstate and dad slowed down far in the shadows when he got to 115...guess he didn't want to be too bad of an influence on me. I never heard of anyone beating her in that Camaro either.

Its good that you're writing, that's real kewl, and you're good at it for your age. Do yourself a favor and ride in these beasts as often as you get a chance to get a real "feel" for the HP and torque.