Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Charcoal canister-2nd try....
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Searching for horsepower

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Charcoal canister-2nd try....

I asked this question during the week and got no response...I am trying again as it is Sunday and maybe I will get a larger group of viewers:

I took the Charcoal canister off my 72 El Camino (350) to clean up the engine compartment. There are three hoses on it. I plugged off the vac tube at the Carb base where one of them went. I took the one that was "T"d on the hose between the vac line on the base of the Carb and the PCV valve on the valve cover off. I then took the vent hose from the gas tank and plugged it into the "T" at the PCV valve.......... I drove around for a day and had no problems. Then when I went to fill up my gas tank ( it had been close to empty on the day I had no problems) as soon as I left the gas station the engine started to flutter......then it died.....like I was out of gas! After looking for problem for a while I decided to put the charcoal canister back on just to make sure that was not the cause........well it was now it runs fine. I am assuming that the hose configuration I used caused a vacuum problem in the gas tank and the gas could not get to the fuel pump. So ..........what did I do wrong with the re-hook up of the hoses? And what is the correct way to do it.......jerry