Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Charcoal canister-2nd try.... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/charcoal-canister-2nd-try-44163.html)

stinky jinx 07-25-2004 01:48 PM

Charcoal canister-2nd try....

I asked this question during the week and got no response...I am trying again as it is Sunday and maybe I will get a larger group of viewers:

I took the Charcoal canister off my 72 El Camino (350) to clean up the engine compartment. There are three hoses on it. I plugged off the vac tube at the Carb base where one of them went. I took the one that was "T"d on the hose between the vac line on the base of the Carb and the PCV valve on the valve cover off. I then took the vent hose from the gas tank and plugged it into the "T" at the PCV valve.......... I drove around for a day and had no problems. Then when I went to fill up my gas tank ( it had been close to empty on the day I had no problems) as soon as I left the gas station the engine started to flutter......then it died.....like I was out of gas! After looking for problem for a while I decided to put the charcoal canister back on just to make sure that was not the cause........well it was now it runs fine. I am assuming that the hose configuration I used caused a vacuum problem in the gas tank and the gas could not get to the fuel pump. So ..........what did I do wrong with the re-hook up of the hoses? And what is the correct way to do it.......jerry

DoubleVision 07-25-2004 02:43 PM

T ing into the vapor line to the pcv was a big mistake.
The Vacuum the PCV pulls is excessive, the engine "thought" it had a vacuum leak, your lucky it didn`t run so lean it burned a piston or valve. I`ve been trying to do this same thing with my 86 Cutlass, if I plug off the vapor line, I have all kinds of fuel pressure problems, excessive high pressure is the result, but if I leave it open and park the car all you can smell is gas. When I did this I used a orifice with the smallest hole drilled in it possible, it still pulls so much vacuum and makes the fuel cap make a noise from the vacuum being pulled through it. so I would just recommend you run the vapor line to the air cleaner, so it`s not being pulled by a high vacuum source and won`t cause any problems elsewise.

stinky jinx 07-25-2004 02:50 PM

Double Vision.......

When you say "vapor line" do you mean the vent hose coming from the gas tank that is now plugged into the canister?

DoubleVision 07-25-2004 03:13 PM

exactly, in the days before this, the gas cap was vented, if you can find a vented cap to use, you can do away with the vapor line altogether or just leave it on and plug it off.

stinky jinx 07-25-2004 03:24 PM

Thank you Mr. Vision.........I will try to find a cap and plug off the line.

jimfulco 07-25-2004 10:24 PM

I ditched the charcoal can in my '72 Nova about 30 years ago, & I stuck a cigarette filter in the vent line under the hood to keep critters out. It's still there & everything works fine.