charcoal respirators options.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

charcoal respirators options..

Hello.. heres the deal.. My lungs are ferbard from who knows what, I say that because I've never smoked and/or had a job that I'd be dealing with breathing in junk other than the few times I'd help my day paint cars.. but so be it.. can't change it

but at work because of the hours, they strip and wax the floor while I'm there a few times a year(say 5) and it takes them 3-4 days. as they have to work around us.. anyways.. when they do this I can't just call in..
what I'm looking for is a charcoal or other(???) mask that remove most of the fumes before they get to my lungs..
got back from vac to them in the middle of the job and been couching up crap since including blood..
I have a 3m mask from a hardware store.. the straps are plastic and I can't see it being all that comfortable when on for 8 hours..
looking for something that will be comfortable enough.. that I'll be more likely to keep on.. and maybe not as bulky as the monster I have..
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 AM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

3m is what I use at work and I'm a full-time painter. There's nothing else that's more comfortable. There is full face mask, then there's hood, but I dont think you'll find those comfortable if you think half mask is uncomfortable.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
Hello.. heres the deal.. My lungs are ferbard from who knows what, I say that because I've never smoked and/or had a job that I'd be dealing with breathing in junk other than the few times I'd help my day paint cars.. but so be it.. can't change it

but at work because of the hours, they strip and wax the floor while I'm there a few times a year(say 5) and it takes them 3-4 days. as they have to work around us.. anyways.. when they do this I can't just call in..
what I'm looking for is a charcoal or other(???) mask that remove most of the fumes before they get to my lungs..
got back from vac to them in the middle of the job and been couching up crap since including blood..
I have a 3m mask from a hardware store.. the straps are plastic and I can't see it being all that comfortable when on for 8 hours..
looking for something that will be comfortable enough.. that I'll be more likely to keep on.. and maybe not as bulky as the monster I have..
thanks
If your couching blood, you need medical help and now.
Also, F the comfortable BS, chances are your respirator from ACE is for sanding plaster, wood or painting latex's.
Go to an automotive paint store and look at the 3M, Gerson or SAS, double charcoal ones, these are made for the nasty solvents.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
If your couching blood, you need medical help and now.
Also, F the comfortable BS, chances are your respirator from ACE is for sanding plaster, wood or painting latex's.
Go to an automotive paint store and look at the 3M, Gerson or SAS, double charcoal ones, these are made for the nasty solvents.

thanks, the cough'n up crap. is something they said I have to deal with.. as I cough so hard that I break tiny vessels..
I'll look into the paint vender mask..
Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

This will be a lot more comfortable to wear than the rubber type masks.

If the rubber bands pull to hard, just pre stretch them a little bit, they take a set pretty easily.

Do you know what is in the products they use so you can get the correct respirator?

You specified carbon, here is a link to a carbon respirator:

Carbon respirator
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

the striper is ammonia based..
and the wax is commerial floor wax.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
I know we all don't want to start some crap with our making a living but the employer MUST by law provide you with protection. And you really need to do some home work on what kind, a paint respirator may not even do a thing with ammonia, I don't know, you don't know and the unless one of us really has some knowledge on this EXACT problem, we just don't know. You need to do some REAL home work and screw comfort, you need PROTECTION. Ammonia is some bad ars stuff, don't screw around with your health!

Brian
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

I did some looking in my 3M catalog and honestly, you need REAL advice, call 3M at 1-800-234-4630.

As it says with every one of these "If exposure levels are not known use a fresh air system" And "each respirator must be properly selected based on the contaminant and concentration levels to which the worker is exposed."

The AMOUNT of exposure is very important too, what is the oxygen level in the room? This is very important. Call 3M and get the right information please.

Brian
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

See if you can find the MSDS for the products being used as well as that information is necessary..

Sam
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I know we all don't want to start some crap with our making a living but the employer MUST by law provide you with protection. And you really need to do some home work on what kind, a paint respirator may not even do a thing with ammonia, I don't know, you don't know and the unless one of us really has some knowledge on this EXACT problem, we just don't know. You need to do some REAL home work and screw comfort, you need PROTECTION. Ammonia is some bad ars stuff, don't screw around with your health!

Brian
You are right, our employees, we supply a new one to, every 7 days (by law)
Ammonia can kill you, we use it in a few things in concentrated form and its the only solvent or solids that bothers me as, I'm sensitized to most.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Barry, yes, ammonia can be pretty darn hard on you, temorarily and permanently. My only real experience with it was when I deceded to clean my sink in an apartement I was living in years ago with toilet bowl cleaner (it is awesome stuff right?) and bleach mixed, heck yeah, both work great so why not together? The ammonia in the toilet bowl cleaner and the bleach make chlorine fumes! It was vicious.

Brian
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Barry, yes, ammonia can be pretty darn hard on you, temorarily and permanently. My only real experience with it was when I deceded to clean my sink in an apartement I was living in years ago with toilet bowl cleaner (it is awesome stuff right?) and bleach mixed, heck yeah, both work great so why not together? The ammonia in the toilet bowl cleaner and the bleach make chlorine fumes! It was vicious.

Brian
I half remember about 30-35 years ago, some women made up a brew like you did to clean the toilet, she was letting it sit and husband went in and sat down to use it and woke up dead, so too say.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Oh heck yeah, it kicked my butt like nothing ever before or since. It HIT me like a physical HIT, just about knocked me down. I opened all the windows and doors and turned fans on while running around with towel over my face and we left. Came back many hours later and it still was there and BAD. It was the middle of winter and very cold but that night we slept with the bedroom door closed and the window open still airing out the rest of the place. It was VICIOUS I mean VICIOUS stuff!

By the way after doing this I read the directions.....the toilet bowl cleaner had big bold warnings "DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH! And the bleach had big bold print warnings "DO NOT MIX WITH AMONNIA" and "DO NOT MIX WITH ANY OTHER HOUSEHOLD CLEANER ESPECIALLY TOILET BOWL CLEANER" Which of course contains amonnia.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
BarryK (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
You are right, our employees, we supply a new one to, every 7 days (by law)
Ammonia can kill you, we use it in a few things in concentrated form and its the only solvent or solids that bothers me as, I'm sensitized to most.
I can attest to that when I was employed I had to go to the top of an anhydrous ammonia storage tank to check out an instrument. I was in front followed by one of our operatos as we were going up the stairs. We were both carrying 5 minute air packs. As I cleared the top of the tank I passed out as quick as that. The operator who was behind me grabbed me and pulled me down to breathable air. I awoke several seconds later to see him placing the 5 minute pack to my face. Ammonia is some nasty stuff and prolonged expose can wreck your lungs or kill you.

Vince
The Following User Says Thank You to 302 Z28 For This Useful Post:
BarryK (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

I find it amazing that I have had people give me a hard time here on the forum about warning people about wearing their protection. This is SERIOUS stuff here! My God, this life is so precious. It's like I tell the guys at work "Believe me you WANT to see your grand children". If anyone doesn't like this thread and us talking about the seriousness of protecting ourselves please just don't waste your time posting jokes here, you aren't funny.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
BarryK (03-26-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.