charging problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

charging problems

Well guys i have no real clue what im doing lol
but here it is .. i have a 72 elky .. 350 .... and my battery just sucks dead in like 2 days ... so i think it doesn't get charged while the car is running or something is sucking it dry while its just sitting there .. the pre owner messed with the cables ... he cut and what not put together again .. so yeah ..
the car runs like i said its just the battery ..
Any help is good
thanks marco

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Can you borrow a voltmeter? If so, hook it to the 2 posts on the battery. Run the motor up to highway speed rpms and it should read around 14 volts. If it only reads 12 or 12.5, it is not charging at all.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

You Have the "Classic Morning sickness syndrome"... (you been parking the ol' girl next to any Vetts lately at night? )

To test the output, Start and warm the car to a curb idle..usually around 950 for stocker automatics..

Get out your DVOM and set it for DCV scale, V X 20 or higher selection, and place each probe on the battery RUNNING with NO loads..(no heater, No lights Domes, hoods , trunk, High power audio stuff, A/C, ..Nothing) It should read between 13.95 and 14.4 Volts...IF it is low..

Check the belt for wear and tightness..repair as needed..

PULL and CLEAN both battery terminals and battery cables at BOTH ends..inspect for encroaching corrosion UNDER the insulation, If found, toss them and get new...they are no good..

Restart and check again..If still low (12.5 12.0 or lower..) you may have a bad set of diodes in the alternator..

Charge the Battery, 6 to 10 Hours at 10 amps..check voltage after "Settle time" It should be around 13.95 volts..Static.

Configure your DVOM for AMPS, and the highest scale (usually about 10 amps on most mid~range home meters) , pull the battery cable and place one probe on the cable, the other on the battery...NOW, scale the reading DOWN , until it ALMOST pegs or "OL's" the readout..THIS is your true reading..

This reading should be between .3 and .8 amps (less than an amp..) to be within spec. higher indicates a draw and THE problem.

GO for the lightning round FIRST..

Remove ALL the wires from the Alternator..Retake your readings..If they fall within spec, you have some reverse biased diodes (leaking backward just sitting overnight loading the battery)

You will need to rebuild the Alternator ( Kit = $16.99 Fazools (and 2 hours of your time AND you CAN'T SCREW it up!!)..at auto zombie...Genuine Delco Replacement=159. to $300. Fazools at auto zombie..)

I JUST Did one from a Hospital bed , Non ambulatory, tubes in/tubes out.. on a feeding table, with 5 or 6 SMALL hand tools.. Took less than 30 minutes for me although I have been doing it for 40 years..but never from a Hospital bed.. ( I took photos too...and will be doing a post later on this..IF I can do it under those situations ANYONE Can do it anywhere with no knowledge, and FEW tools)

IF by chance....

The measurements Don't fall back within spec...you have a parasitic Draw on the system..

Leave your DVOM in place, BE SURE all loads are off or defeated during all tests.., pull ALL the relays and fuses..

THEN, one by one plug them BACK in until the readout jumps up..that is an offending Branch circuit..troubleshoot , correct or defeat as required on that branch circuit..then go on.. (you may have more than one draw) until all are back in place.

That will Cure Morning sickness syndrome in most cases.

Doc
Old 08-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Doc

Hope you are ok Doc. Get well soon.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmal
Hope you are ok Doc. Get well soon.

Doc Here,

Thanks for your concern...

This has been going on for 3 years, now this bout....X 5 years in and out or remiss...I always manage to Spring back..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.