Hot Rod Forum banner

charging problems... not enough

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  horvath 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.. i have a 78 pontiac firebird with a chevy 350 in it and my alternator isnt putting out enough amps to keep up with everything i have when i run my fan with my headlights it drains my battery very badly.. what year model vehicle can i get another alternator off of that would be able to mount up to my engine and keep up with my fan and lights. right now my alt. is rated at 65 amps and i am guessing that i need one rated in about 90-95.. ?? please help
thanks

#4 ·
You want a Delco 12si alternator. They're rated at 94 amps. Depending on which side of the engine your alt is on ... the 3:00 position is most popular (passenger side) ... AC Delco #321-266 / Lester #7294-3 -- see 1984 Hi-Perf Camaro ... the 1985 Pontiac Firebird uses a 78 amp AC-Delco #321-247 / Lester #7278-3.

Also, check your fan belt! If it's shiney or loose, it could be slipping and not turning your alt properly.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.