charging sys - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2002, 06:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post charging sys

I have a built s-10 pick up with a 350. My alt burned out and I never seem to find a what i call a one wire charging sys. All i could buy was a two wire sys. using number one and two terminals on the delco alt. My question is where do i hook up the extra wire that i now have thats labeled field?. I was told to hook it to a switched wire from the ign switch. well no luck...charges ok but it wont shut off...Do i hook it up to the power wire for the coil?...Waiting for the answer...thatnks alot...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2002, 09:40 PM

when i build derby cars i run the field wire to a small light then to the ignition switch. when you turn the key on the light will come on . when you start it and it is running the light goes off. it is charging. try a light and make sure you have the wire on the ign on the switch. maybe this will help you.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:56 PM

Install a diode in the field wire to the alternator. A 4 watt diode from Radio Shack works nicely. Just install so current will flow to the alternator, not away from it.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:19 PM

Cool

i have seen the one wire alt used in an older gm but i dont recall what kind, anyway the guy bought it through jegs or summit and it worked very well. i believe that the gharge wire is also used as the power wire. there was something really diff about the system though, i think the wire comes directly off the batt and goes to the alt, not off the solenoid. anyway, check out jegs and summit.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:53 PM

skiknight , and I quote.the only thing required to eletrically hook-up a one wire alternator is to run a charge wire from the battery terminal on the alt to the positive terminal on the batt (or any positive batt source). the external regulator can either be totaly dismanteled from the firewall or left in place. if left in place , be sure to disconect the wire harness from the regulator. the wiring harness has to be disconected from the regulator or the indecator light on the dash will remain on. note: if the vehicle is equipped with an indicator light, the light will no longer work.
also one wire alt has a turn on point. or cut-in . which should be around 1200 rpm's so when you start engine bring rpm's up to at least 1200 to kick in alt . will charge untill engine is shut down again. then it starts all over again.
plagerize from <a href="http://www.speedwaymotors.com" target="_blank">www.speedwaymotors.com</a> page 342.
also they have one wire alts priced to fit any pocket. page 339 in the 50th anniversary cat. well worth the $5.00 cost just for the little tech tips.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.