Charging System Not working - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Charging System Not working

I have a 62 cadillac and the charging system is not working. At the battery I have 12.7v. When i turn the car on, I still have 12.7 volts. At the generator I have 14v and further down the circuit at the fuseable link, I still have 14v. The wiring diagram shows the circuit leading to the generator tell tale light, which is still operational, then onto the thermo gauge where it gets its ground. As far as I can tell it is still grounded since the generator tell tale light is still working. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Generator

Doc here,

The oldest Diagram I have on this hard drive is 63-65 GM charging system..And since it's a cut off date (62/63) May not apply to your car...Mine does not show the Charge light, or This Thermo?? Switch you speak of...

However, I can give you SOME advise..

First if you have 14.4 Volts at the generator..and all the way to the fusible link, Your Generator is operational..Check the Power back to the Battery (and cable terminals ) For loose or corroded connections..

Make SURE you have a proper Ground From your generator to the Engine block AND Battery...If you have to add a 10 Gauge wire from the generator Body to your main grounding are (which, If done properly, should be located at or very near the starter, on the block)

After you Check or repair those..If your still low back to the battery, check and adjust the Regulator (or just replace it) Both the Air Gap and field contacts...0005 and 0064 thousands or there abouts..Make sure the point rocker is actually closing and that the regulator functions..

You may also have a second Fuse link at the Horn Relay, Look for that, as this is what provides direct power to the generator..

Also .. Unlike Altenators...Generators ARE RPM dependent..be sure you have enough RPM when you take your readings...If necessary..turn up the Idle screw around 1200 rpms...

Hope that gives you a start point..

Doc
Old 06-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Enlighten me Doc, but did they have fusable links in 62?

I am pretty sure that I never have seen one on my 62 Pontiac.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Fuse link..

Doc here,

You may well be quite Correct..My diagrams Don't show a fuse link in the Charging circuit until after 65...So It is quite possible..

However HE SAID he has a fuse link, so I assume they did...OR somebody (and rightly so..) Installed the protection at some later date...Which now makes it part of the mix...

If your Running without one, you might want to consider the upgrade just for the extra protection..Cuz accidents do happen...better a link than a harness or your whole rod...

Doc
Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, my use of fuseable link is a little loose and i probably shouldnt have used that. What i mean is there is a fuse in series with the circuit. Sorry.

But first thing tomorrow I will check the ground to for the generator which is what I probably should have done before coming on and asking questions. Thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

Correct me if I am wrong(and i usually am), but the generator casing should be grounded? So two bolts would most likely be the grounding point? I cannot find a strap for the generator like the one I have on my starter. Is this how it should work? Thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Case Ground

Doc here,

Yes The Alternator MUST be case grounded...Do not relay on the mount bolt to the mount to do that job for you...

Isolate where your grounds come together, should be at or very near the starter on the block...

Run a 10 gauge wire from the main grounds at the block to the Alternator Ground lug..Should be a single nut on the back..attach your ground there..If you Don't have one...then to a mount Bolt ON the alternator itself.

Use star washers and burnish off all grease, paint and corrosion.

If you have an aluminum mount bracket (the big one on the block) and it is powered white..along with the alternator case..you have electrolysis...and probably no ground..

Remove the mount and the hardware, water blast or sandblast the mount and hardware, and reassemble, using Aluminum wire bonding paste on the hardware.

You want to clear this up, because the electrolysis will eat the water pump Vanes up until their non~Exsistant...over time...

Your grounding system must be arranged in this fashion in order to be effective...

Main battery Cable from battery to a bolt on the block at or near the starter..from that bolt run a battery cable with 2 ring terminal ends on it (6 bucks at the auto parts store) to the frame and ground it...

From the same block bolt run two 10 gauge wires, one to attach at the firewall, and the other to attach at the Alternator case.

Burnish paint and grease at each ground point and use a star washer at each, be sure all are tight.

From your very first post you said you have 12. 5 volts on the battery side of the fuse and 14.4 on the Alternator side of the fuse?...correct? If that is so...therein lays your problem...that fuse is blown or not making contact...Don't relay on visual, use a test meter or lamp to check the fuse..

what you may have is 12.5 volts from the battery, and 14.4 volts from the charging system stopped at both sides because the fuse is open...

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 06-16-2005 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 06-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Again, you were right. The grounding for the case was no working so well. The grounding lug was a bit rusty and grimey. I found a new one and bolted it on, after starting up the car the charging system kicked in fine. Thanks a lot Doc!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The Fix

Doc here,

Thanks for posting back with the fix! It might help the next guy...

Glad to help...
And Happy Rodding!

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.