Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chasing down a really annoying squealing belt!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Chasing down a really annoying squealing belt!

So a friend of mine has a chevy truck with AC, Power steering and an air pump with serpentine belt setup. 88 350. Belt tensioner is new as is the belt, but the previous owner was trying to quiet the thing by spraying lube on it. I assume he probably changed the thing in the first place because it was making noise and it didn't help, so I'm not sure the lube is the issue, also considering its been a few thousand miles since it was last applied.

Anyhow, I'm reasonably sure there's some kind of alignment issue but nothing is obvious to the eye. I know when we squirt water on the belt it will shut up for a few revolutions so I'm pretty sure its the belt rubbing against a pulley somehow. Wear pattern isn't obvious.

What I really need to be able to do is isolate pulleys individually. Can the pulleys themselves be soaped? I was also thinking you could temporarily apply some kind of tape to each pulley and run it for a few revolutions to see if the tone changes. What do you guys think? How can this be traced?

K