Hot Rod Forum banner

Chasing a ghost in a 350 SBC.

8K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  cdminter59 
#1 ·
Year One Power Crate 350 with the Edelbrock E-Tech package, hyd roller, RPM air gap, Pro Systems XC built by Patrick, Dynatech Musclemaxx headers, older MSD Pro Billet, 6AL, Blaster II coil, Moroso Ultra 40 wires. The problem I'm having is it acts like there is a miss somewhere. This engine has about 250 miles on it, and the miss is getting worse. I changed plugs, and they looked like they came out of a fuel injected engine. Perfect color. Cleaned the cap, and rotor, made sure the pick up in Pro billet was clean, switched to another 6AL, rewired the 6AL straight to battery to make sure it was good. 14.7 VDC constant, readjusted the rockers, ran a compression test, 160psi across the board, checked all wires individual with a spark plug, has good fire, and it advances with engine speed, tried two different carbs, checked fuel pressure 7psi, checked all 8 primary tubes from cold with a thermal heat gun and 5 of 8 were ranging 400 degrees after 1 min of run time, and three were in the 250 to 290 range. Is there anyway the Pro billet could be causing an erratic spark issue? I'm at a total loss this far. Thanks for any information

#39 ·
Drove the car again today to work. 32 degrees this morning. Ran decent but the slight hesitation was back at part throttle. Now it's 60 degrees and the car is running awesome. Seriously thinking the RPM Air Gap isn't for cold weather! I hate to buy a RPM Vortec intake just to try. But I don't know of any to borrow. My heads are the Edelbrock E-Tech 170 so...

#42 ·
I don't know if it mattered or not, but it is a late model roller Vortec block with one piece pan and rear main. Those engines use a 195 degree thermo I believe. But due to the carb intake I figured thermostat shouldn't matter? Would the combo of thermostat and spark plug heat have any affect?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.