Chassis building for my '35 Pluymouth coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 07:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chassis building for my '35 Pluymouth coupe

Hey guys!

I'm new here, so I apologize up front for violating any rules or customs I don't know about.

I am thinking through building a frame for a '35 Plymouth coupe I picked up a few weeks ago. It will be a budget deal, like all my car and truck projects.

I built a frame back in '99 for a t bucket. It came out real well, the car works great, and has been on the road 4 seasons now. The frame is pretty much 2X3X3/16 steel, with rifle barrel quality 7/8 tubing for the radius rods, drag link, tie rod and such. I made all that stuff too, reversed a Corvair steering box for it, made all the engine/tranny mounts, etc.

I had one guy tell me such a frame set-up would not work under a coupe, but I don't see why not. On the other hand I've had a number of rodders say "Why not?"

So anyway, this is the way I'm leaning. Dropped front axle, transverse spring behind, Corvair steering, radius rods, z'ed frame, pretty much like my bucket. The coupe I got is just the body, cowl back, no fenders, and that's the way I intend to keep it. Easy to channel! I'm looking right now for a donor Mopar vehicle to cough up at least an engine and tranny, and maybe a rear end too. (AC would be okay too.) I would plan on making all the associated brackets.

Any ideas, hints, tips, suggestions greatly appreciated!

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewProject_WEB.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	5761  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 10:38 PM

Why not?

The frame might not be exactily like a T bucket,but you certainly can fab your own. Look at a similar cars frame and take some ques from it. Lots of info on this site and rod mags as well. Makes you feel good to build one from the ground up,so to speak. Especially when thing work correctly. good luck, Jerry
Old 07-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'm with the "why not" guys. I would think that building the frame, "Z"ing, with the channeling, you could make a badarse stance to the car. With some crossmembers, I'd also think it would be stronger than stock. The mid 30's to early 40's are my favorite cars. I'm building a 36 Ford 5w coupe, the Dodge and Plymouth coupes are cool. The 35 and 36 are 2 of my favorites of that era for Chrysler. Good luck and keep us posted. Dan
Old 07-13-2005, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

My frame is 2X3 square tubing. I use a clipped front and a cage, but it's not much different than what you plan....?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys!

Frame won't be the same as the bucket, but not much different. It's a matter of a level frame and diagonals matching. It's being real careful not to warp the rear axle when welding brackets on. It's gonna be different, but not much. Did I already say that? I been chainsawing in very hot weather here near Albany NY today. Trying to get some of my land cleared off, took down 52 trees, now cleaning up. For this kind of power, can you say STIHL?

Anyways, my bucket came out good, fast, and straight down the highway. I love it. Matter of fact, won't be long I'll be in the shower, then hop in the bucket for a little rest and relaxation!

Frank
Old 07-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35plymouthcoupe
So anyway, this is the way I'm leaning. Dropped front axle, transverse spring behind, Corvair steering, radius rods, z'ed frame, pretty much like my bucket.

As one of the Moderators here........Let me WELCOME YOU.. here..

The only thing I see is the Corvair box........The coupe will weigh more than the T-Bucket and IMHO needs a stronger steering box.

I am usually against encouraging frame swaps, but you seem you be capable so.......I might consider a complete frame or adding a clip to what is under the coupe now. Mopar frames were very good and strong from that era...

Whatever you do.......have FUN and be safe......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-15-2005, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35plymouthcoupe

Anyways, my bucket came out good, fast, and straight down the highway. I love it. Matter of fact, won't be long I'll be in the shower, then hop in the bucket for a little rest and relaxation!

Frank
Well come and pick me up for a spin!!!!!!

Drop Ron off at my house (he can work on my cars while we go out) and we'll rip up the town!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 PM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash
Last photo:

Do it man !!

The guys who say you cant do things are usually the ones who couldn't do it themselves as it would be too hard !
Go ahead and make your own chassis I would suggest 3 or 4 X 2 tubing with 1/8 wall thickness, if you like have a look at my project, its a 34 ford with a tube chassis and a home made body. The chassis is close to your needs altho you are using four bars the X members are similar to your needs. I have added an unscaled drawing there as well so you can see how I strengthened the frame where it is cut and joined this made it very torsionally strong so the body does not flex at all.

BTW welcome!!

Rob
Old 07-23-2005, 12:51 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Found a couple of sites that might be helpful to you:

http://www.ply33.com/Models/PJ/

http://www.1935plymouth.com/

That last one is *stuffed* with info!
Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the support guys!

I haven't had much chance to work on the coupe lately. Been busy rebuilding an old vette engine I picked up, dealing with home improvement stuff, and suffering through one of the hottest summers on record.

Couple things. I figure being fenderless I'll be under 1,000 #s up front, which should be okay for a corvair steering gear. If it doesn't work, I'll switch it out, but I think it will.

I ran into a fenderless '32 Ford coupe at a cruise-in last month on a t-bucket frame just like what I plan on doing, with a reversed corvair gear. I didn't get to talk to the guy, as he was never around, then we had to leave a bit early. That cruise-in is this Wednesday. If it's decent weather, I'll drive the bucket over and see if I can find that guy.

Also, after much research and looking at a bunch of rods with 4 bar set-ups, I think I'll stay with radius rods. I know how to build them and feel more comfortable going that way. Also, I'm planning on air bags for my "springs" with shocks at each corner. Gonna start making those brackets soon and scrounge some parts for it.

"Crazy Mopar Guy" - where in Canada are you? I was born and raised and spent many years in Massena, NY, just opposite Cornwall ON.

Back to work,

Frank

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.