Which Chassis finish would you choose from these 2 options? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Which Chassis finish would you choose from these 2 options?

Hi, I am new to the forum and have been reading some past tech replies on the subject of chassis painting. While i do not have a hot rod, I do have an '46 Willys Jeep that I am doing a resto-mod on. I have a little dilemma that I'd love to see if you can help me through.

Here's the story...I had the Willys frame sandblasted and I used a single stage primer and Martin Senour chassis black to paint it with. While I love the look and finish of the semi gloss Martin Senour chassis paint, the finish is chipping off with even mild taps of a wrench. The primer looks to be holding fine but a good bond between the primer and chassis black did not occur. I use the jeep on gravel roads regularly, so this finish is not going to work for me.

I have decided to have the frame sandblasted over again, and I am considering two options for painting it with. I am either going to use the Eastwoods extreme chassis black and do it at home, or the blasting shop offers a chassis painting service that uses a two part epoxy primer with a urethane semi-gloss chassis black top coat. Both are comparable in price, and both claim to be extremely chip resistant, and both will get me the color and sheen I am after.

The jeep is not a show car, so I am mainly looking for a finish that repels chips and scratches. I am staying away from powder coating because I need to have a finish I can make touch ups on if the jeep is modified in the future. So which would you choose, the Eastwood product or the two part primer with urethane chassis paint?

Sorry for the long-windedness, I look forward to your opinions,
Thanks,
Daniel

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 AM

Last photo:

2-3 coats of epoxy over clean blasted steel then topcoated with 3 coats of a quality urethane singlestage=hard to beat the durability offered with this combination.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
2-3 coats of epoxy over clean blasted steel then topcoated with 3 coats of a quality urethane singlestage=hard to beat the durability offered with this combination.
That depends on which brand of epoxy is used. If it is PPG DPLF I would vehemently disagree. SPI would be a good base for a qualty urethane though.

Vince
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:

Did you check into powder coating? I would think the cost would be comparable if you can have it done locally and It's very durable.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:27 PM

I considered powder coat, but I need a finish I can redo regularly as we modify the jeep, or if the finish gets damaged during use on the trails. I basically have my decision narrowed between the epoxy/urethane and the eastwood stuff, not sure which would be best?...
Daniel
Old 06-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

Epoxy and urethane!! Anything with a catalist will out perform one part systems
Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 AM

Heres ppg dplf, if you scratch it, you can touch it up with a cheap air brush, shouldn't even have to mask it.

http://www.1969supersport.com/047.html

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 06-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

Undercoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyjeep
Hi, I am new to the forum and have been reading some past tech replies on the subject of chassis painting. While i do not have a hot rod, I do have an '46 Willys Jeep that I am doing a resto-mod on. I have a little dilemma that I'd love to see if you can help me through.

Here's the story...I had the Willys frame sandblasted and I used a single stage primer and Martin Senour chassis black to paint it with. While I love the look and finish of the semi gloss Martin Senour chassis paint, the finish is chipping off with even mild taps of a wrench. The primer looks to be holding fine but a good bond between the primer and chassis black did not occur. I use the jeep on gravel roads regularly, so this finish is not going to work for me.

I have decided to have the frame sandblasted over again, and I am considering two options for painting it with. I am either going to use the Eastwoods extreme chassis black and do it at home, or the blasting shop offers a chassis painting service that uses a two part epoxy primer with a urethane semi-gloss chassis black top coat. Both are comparable in price, and both claim to be extremely chip resistant, and both will get me the color and sheen I am after.

The jeep is not a show car, so I am mainly looking for a finish that repels chips and scratches. I am staying away from powder coating because I need to have a finish I can make touch ups on if the jeep is modified in the future. So which would you choose, the Eastwood product or the two part primer with urethane chassis paint?

Sorry for the long-windedness, I look forward to your opinions,
Thanks,
Daniel
Hello Everyone, I'am New here Too. Can I Suggest a product called " ProForm" Paintable Rubberized Undercoat. One I have used is Black, and you spray it on with a "Simple Sprayer that you just stick in a quart can. I think it costs about $15 This Stuff is Great !!! Sticks like Mad, Paintable if you like. Covers minor blemishes, easy touch up. They also have a product called " Rock Guard " Put on some Old Clothes !!! You will have to throw them in the Garbage when your done. It's a Messy Job !!!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs ss
Heres ppg dplf, if you scratch it, you can touch it up with a cheap air brush, shouldn't even have to mask it. Rob
That is because it is a very low grade epoxy. .

Vince
Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 PM

I have been VERY impressed with the Eastwood Chassis Black after using it for the past 10+ years on various projects, including my own. For a single stage it is very durable, extremely easy to touch up if needed and low cost. The Chassis Black will cover in one coat, so you are not going to go through a whole lot of mixed paint. I have used it over Etch and Epoxy, both giving equal performance overall.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 AM

Does Eastwood's Chassis Black ever fade or dull?

Does Eastwood's Chassis Black ever fade or dull if on a part of the car that is exposed to the sun or elements?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 PM

Well it's been awhile, but I went the 2 part epoxy primer with a urethane top coat on our '46 and IT IS THE BEST! I am very happy with it. We have a two year old now who "helps" me in the garage a lot and he has used the jeep frame as a chalk board, a shelf for anything leaky and sticky, and even as a piniata with his little metal hammer and some rocks, and he has yet to chip or damage the finish. I am pretty impressed. If it stands up to him, it should have a much easier life on and off road.

As an aside, I have a second plow jeep that has a lot of parts painted with the Eastwood Chassis black and it is clearly not as as durable of a finish. And, comparing the costs of 8 cans of eastwood paint to what I was charged for the urethane finish, I feel the urethane will be a better long term value.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.