Chassis Made or Bought - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chassis Made or Bought

Well as some of you may know or have seen my T bucket thread, I am looking into building and buying a Speedway Motors 27 T bucket. I know they have a kit for about 3200 bucks for the chassis with 4 link front and back with behind the axle leaf in front, etc. Well I was thinking about building my own frame rails, cross members and mounts and then just get all the rear and front end parts from them.
1.) They have the frame rails allready with the crossmembers only for 300 bucks. Think it is possible to buy my own square and round tubing and make my own frame rails and crossmembers for under 300 bucks or should I just get theirs?
2.) Also do they come with VIN numbers and all that legal stuff or what do I do here?
3.) In most states do I register it as a 2006 (since this is when it will be built) or can I say it's a 27 T bucket with a 77 LTD 302 motor, etc?

Basically what I am asking here is the price first and then all the legal kind of stuff for the chassis and how to go about doing this? I understand that each state is different but what is the majority of states do or what does your state do just so I know....
Thanks a ton here guys!

Shawn-

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Not saying that it could not be done but for $ 300 I think you would be better off buying the chassis even after you factor in the freight charges. I would think that by the time you bought the steel, the welding consumables and other supplies, built a jig etc. that you would have way more in it than that and then you run the risk of it being warped a little. All states rules on regisration are different so you need to check with your DMV where you live on the registration thing.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Ok thanks Henry. I think your right, it's cheaper to go that way. I emailed Speedway Motors and gave them my phone number like they asked but they never called me... I hope their customer service is not bad because if it is I am going to flip out.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,023 Times in 855 Posts
Dial 'em up on the phone and talk to a human.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Haha yeah that is what I will have to do. I have a list of 15 questions sitting here and actually I need to find out what to ask them on their bodies. I know before people said you need to know certain things about the molds and the fiberglass and how long they have been cured but I don't know what I was supposed to ask about again. I will have to do a search or something.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.